How Do You Get Icing Deep Red?

Decorating By AngelasSugarShack Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm by SandiOh

AngelasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelasSugarShack Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

I'm trying to make my buttercream red and all I get is a really dark pink no matter how much red dye I put in. Is there a trick? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 11

I use chefmaster colors. They are concentrated so you use very little and there is no bad taste. You also get red immediately (no waiting for it to intensify), same goes for black.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 11

Let it sit....it will darken over time...
Also, are you using red food coloring (like from the grocery store) or gel paste (like Wilton or Americolor)?

AngelasSugarShack Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm using Wilton gel dye. I waited about an hour now, and it's gotten a little darker, but still not RED.

I'll look for the chefmaster coloring in the future. Do you have to get it online or can you get it in the store?

Thanks!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 11

I get it from a local instructor but if you do a google search you will find it online.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 11

If you have a cake supply store they should have some different options. I use the no-taste Tulip Red.
Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 11

Which Wilton red are you using? If you are starting with white buttercream you will need 1 tsp wilton color for 1 cup of icing to get red. The No taste red is not as deep as some of the other reds. Another way you can work with red is to take your white to a very deep pink (using wilton pink) and then start adding your red. You will still have to use a lot of red though although slightly less than if you started from white. The best red is from mixing red-red and christmas red. Here is a link to an article about using wilton reds to get a deep red icing.
http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/how-to-make-red-icing-red/

bonnie25976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnie25976 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 11

Sugarflair do a very good red food colouring paste - it is called Red Extra - you only need the tiniest amount to get an instant deep red. Same goes for black.

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 11

another way to get a good red color is to add a little sifted cocoa powder to your icing.

AngelasSugarShack Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 11

You all are awesome. This is so helpful! Thank you!!
(I'm making cupcake bouquets for V-day for some friends. I'll post pics, so keep an eye out!) icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 11

I just went through this with frosting for my Elmo cake. what worked is remaking my batch, coloring it pink first, then add the red...worked like a charm and deepened overnight.

I went through an entire bottle of red Americolor and still was not red. I put that in the freezer,pulled it out for another use, and it still was not as red as I wanted it....so definitely pink was the way to go first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%