Depression While Pregnant?

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 10:02am by noahsmummy

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 14

Have any of you experienced depression during pregnancy? I've never dealt with depression and I didn't have a problem with my first pregnancy but I'm starting my third trimester and I'm weepy and feeling overwhelmed almost all the time! I am also so exhausted but then I don't sleep very well. I have financial and marital strains that I didn't have with my first pregnancy so maybe these are not helping? Does this sound like just a normal pregnancy thing or maybe something else? My mom is telling me to ask the doctor about it but I don't want to be on depression medicine and I'm afraid that the doctor might just put me on something without considering alternatives to medication! Any experience dealing with this or advice I'd like to hear. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon and I can't decide whether to mention it or not. TY!

13 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

Okay I've never been pregnant so I can't help you with how you are suppose to feel. But I'd go with your mom's suggestion. Talk to your DR about it.

There are different factors to concider now than the first time around. Now you already have a child that you are taking care of, and that can be a strain on your system. Plus you said yourself there is added stress in your life.

I'd get it checked into now thought because things are going to get even more stressfull after you have the baby.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 14

One of my friends had such bad depression during and after her pregnanacy, she decided to not have any more children. Another one of my friends had postpartum psychosis, not just depression. It's hormonal, and you need to go to a doctor. There are meds that you can take while you're pregnant that can help and won't cause any probles with the pregnancy, especially in the third trimester.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 14

Absolutely..It is normal and most women experience some sort of emotional changes before and after a pregnancy.Talk to your Dr....he/she can help ease the strain.I had mild post partum after my son was born but it eventually went away..Other need more serious help.I wouldn't worry too much.There is alot of anxiety having a baby and the financial/marital stress makes it worse.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Your body is going thru Hormone Hell right now ... things are changing, growing, re-directing energy, and your body is focused on nothing but taking care of the growing life inside of you.

Know that this is a normal part of pregnancy, even tho' it's not one of the fun parts. Talk to your doctor right away.

I had post-partum after my oldest that lasted about 6 months, but I didn't know that's what it was because that was back in the day when we didnt' talk about such things! Shhh! Later on in life, I so envied the new moms who grew up knowing about it, talking about it, and could easily get help for it so they could function.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 14

Definitely talk to your doctor. Explain that you want to see what you can do without medication, and s/he'll help you through it. Then at least s/he'll know what's going on so s/he can check up with you at each appointment.

I had pretty bad depression toward the end of my second pregnancy. Like you, I didn't have any problems with the first, and I had additional stress with the second (we moved to a new city -- far away from my friends and family -- when I was six months along). I never talked to my doctor, but I wish I had. My biggest fear was that it would get a lot worse post-partum, but for me it was the opposite. As soon as my daughter was born, things got a LOT better. I am now expecting #3 and was afraid of depression again, but so far, so good. Hopefully it will get better for you soon, too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 14

I agree, talk to your doctor. Even if you don't want medication, your doctor will be able to keep an eye on you and be ready to prescribe something if you get too depressed to feel like you deserve to feel better...I've been there before.

When I had my first baby, I just had normal weepy feelings during the pregancy. I think some of that is that I found out I was pregnant a couple of days before 9-11 and so it felt like a very uncertain time to bring a baby into the world. We also had some severe financial strain because I'd had two miscarriages and the dr said the only way to keep this pregnancy was to get a less demanding job, so of course I quit and then ended up taking a job that only paid half as much but we had all the same bills. Anyhow, I was not depressed during the pregnancy, but I had to have her early and by c-section and she couldn't breathe when she was born. I got to go home five days after she was born but she didn't get to go home for another week. I ended up really depressed, maybe even a little worse than that. I kept packing a bag and leaving while my husband and baby were sleeping. I also would get fixated on objects...for example, I couldn't sleep until all the hammers were out of the house. I told my mom and she said that I was going through what was supposed to be the best time of my life and to quit acting like a nut to try to get the attention that my baby was taking from me. After that I was embarrassed to tell my doctor. I barely remember Val's first six months because I was so depressed.

When I got pregnant with Sophia, my husband and I both had some problems with depression during my pregnancy, because we were scared of having another little baby in NICU. My husband lost 80 lbs because he didn't eat at all during my pregnancy (he was a pretty chunky boy to begin with so he didn't starve or anything). I had to quit working at six months and I was supposed to be on bedrest, but how do you do bedrest when your husband isn't talking to you, your mom comes over daily to nag you about everything you need to get done, and you have a 3 year old? So I expected things to get bad after I had Sophia, since I was already depressed. Instead, I managed to talk the doctor into waiting two weeks further into the pregnancy to deliver her than they had with Val, and Sophia was able to breathe when she was born. Since the c-section was planned and she didn't have to be on any machines, I actually got to see her after she was born and keep her in my room until we went home. It made a huge difference being busy taking care of her. It's also great having a newborn when you already know how to take care of one...everything seems so much easier and less scary than the first time around. If your older one is still in diapers, it's also nice how much smaller and less gross the diapers on a newborn are.

Since you mentioned financial troubles, have you checked to see if you're eligible for WIC? If you end up needing formula, it's a lot better to already be on WIC before the baby's born than have to buy formula for the first month until you can get an appointment.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 14

WIC is a wonderful program. If you're elligible, you'll actually start receiving benefits now, while you're pregnant!

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:29am
post #9 of 14

I also suffered from depression during and after my pregnancy. Which lead to the decision to not have more than one child....

And I also agree with the above - the hormons are really making you more vunerable so if life is hard it will affect you more if your pregnant.
People around me expected me to be SO happy as pregnant and as a new mom and that was difficult to handle. My pregnancy was tough and the months after the baby was born I was extremly depressed, I didn't want to live and each night when the baby was sleeping I was by the door with the car keys in my hand wanting to leave. But i didn't talk to anyone - I just tried to keep up appearance and that made it even worse probably. So do talk to your doctor - medication is not the only option - rest, support and someone to talk to can be very effective as well. I wish you all the best and hope you talk to your doctor

JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you guys! I talked to my doctor and explained everything I was feeling and she agreed that it sounded like mild depression and she did say that the best bet right now would be medication, and after talking to her about it I am feeling more comfortable with it. I also have the family telling me that depression is in your head and you can positive-think your way out of it, so I haven't said anything about it because I was embarassed and thinking I need to deal with it by myself! Thank you for all of your advice, like I said I have never had to deal with depression so I am very out of my element it helps to know that it's normal and other people have dealt with it!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 14

Jae,
I'm glad to hear you talked to your doctor. I have WAAAY too much experience with depression! I know you what you are feeling.
My doctor said something that hit home for me. "You can refuse the meds, and be okay. Or you can take the meds, and be the best possible Mommy to your child."

I also have family that believes it's all in my head, and if I just "tried harder" I could snap out of it. Get real! It's not all in your head. For me, it's actually a chemical imbalance. You are pregnant! The hormones alone are wrecking havoc in your body!

I'm on meds, I probably will be for life, and I do not feel any shame. I know I'm doing what's best for me and my family. Take care of yourself!

getting off my soapbox now.....

JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 14

Haha "Get real!" That's exactly what my doctor's face said when I told her my family was saying these things! I felt the same way, I feel like I am starting to miss out on my son because I'm just trying to get through the days and I don't like it! I just started my meds today but I honestly already feel better knowing I don't have to try and 'fix' it by myself!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 14

Anyone who thinks depression is all in your head and you can just snap yourself out of it has never experienced depression. That's like telling a cancer patient to just snap out of it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Try not to think of the medication as medicine, but more along the lines of a vitamin, because what it is doing is restoring the balance of chemicals that your body naturally makes.

I've been on antidepressants for 10 years now. If it weren't for them, I'd have been dead a long time ago.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:02am
post #14 of 14

hello;

I had during my pregancy, from beginning to end really now looking back. i kept putting it off from talking to myidwife about it.. i think she already knew tho.. i was in a pretty sh**ty situation at the time. but from the time i talked to her, she referred me to a phsycologist RIGHT away. And she was great. the option of medication was open to me right away and always was, but she respected the fact i didnt want to take any, and dint push the subject. My depression continued on after my son was born, again due to crappy cicumtances i was in, but i wish i had of gotten help earlier, i think it would have made all the difference! so good girl for speaking up early! And i would tell anyone reading this in a similar circumstance to speak up sooner rather than latter.. dont let yourself feel weak por like a bad mother! soooooo many mothers go through it, and there is alot of people out there wanting to help you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%