Splenda Smbc??

Baking By Cocoby Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 3:05am by Cocoby

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 6

icon_eek.gif I am going to make a cake for my dad who has diabetes. I want to make sugar free frosting ....but a very tasty one. I'm thinking about the possibility of making a "Splenda Swiss Meringue Buttercream". But I am worried about the final results. Does anyone here tried it? Please HELP ME!

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that the cake itself is an almond chiffon cake made with Splenda. It has given me excellent results icon_smile.gif

5 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 6

look at the post dated "Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 PM " in this link. This may help in finding your answer.
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=106496

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

I asked the same question this week and got slammed for feeding a diabetic cake at all because of the carbs. I would still like to know if the Splenda works for SMBC, so please post again if you try. I may try a batch this weekend. I'll post the results if I do. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not sure it will work. The purpose of the sugar in the SMBC is not just to provide sweetness, but to also melt and increase the heat that cooks the meringue and makes it stable. I don't think Splenda will do those things.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 6

Have you tried contacting the splenda people at splenda dot com? They could help you out or make suggestions. Yeah, too many carbs are bad for diabetics, but the diabetics I know budget in their carb counts for the occassional piece of cake. Hooray for you trying to keep the carb count down!!!

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6

icon_rolleyes.gif What I mean by "Sugar Free Cake and Frosting" ...is that I will not add sugar at all. I will only use Splenda into making tha cake and frosting. I know for sure that although I use Splenda... the cake still contains fluor that has many carbs that the body will metabolize into glucose.

But my Dad is craving for something sweet and savory ...without sugar. He knows to count carbs in his food and he will not be eating the whole cake ..just a piece per day.

thumbs_up.gif There is nothing wrong with that and because I love him so much ...I'm planning on making a very delicious cake. He's worth all my effort.

I will make the Splenda Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I have hope in that the finish product will be great. icon_wink.gif

P.S. - I will try to make him some other time ..a cake using agave nectar instead of sugar ...because althouh this agave nectar contains carbs ...it has a very low glycemic index.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%