Does Anyone Ever Get A Tip?

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm by wrightway777

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:14am
post #1 of 27

I find that I am paid to the CENT for every cake I make to the customer.... Does anyone ever get tipped in this industry? How can I encourage my customers to show their appreciation for the work put into the product and TIP!?

.... hehehehe.... ya, right you are thinking!

26 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:39am
post #2 of 27

I have been tipped quite a few times. I don't encourage it or promote it. I figure if they want to great, but I don't want them to feel like I am trying to get more out of them than what was quoted.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 27

They say thanks for the free cake you should open a bakery hahaha

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:20am
post #4 of 27

I get tips on almost every cake I make. I have never experienced this in any other industry I have worked in and I think maybe it has to do with people associating tips with delivering food...

I delivered a wedding cake last weekend and they gave me a $30.00 tip, but it was also a last minute order and I kind of got them out of a jam by agreeing to do the cake.

Part of it also may be because I am in Alaska and we don't really have much of a recession here and an abundance of work.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:56am
post #5 of 27

I have been tipped on a few cakes. When I was delivering a cake, I had one client ask if hubby and I would help out by keeping the buffett table filled, they paid us $150 for 45 minuts of work. then tipped me $150 on the cake. oh, how I wish all cutomers did that !!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I also got a few cake orders from that wedding. I really like those kind of days..the few and far between..hehe icon_lol.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:29am
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

They say thanks for the free cake you should open a bakery hahaha

Hahaha Yup!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:38am
post #7 of 27

I have been tipped a few times which is even less likely over here as we don't get into the whole tipping scene in the UK as much as you guys in the US. They just make us pay more in the first place!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:19am
post #8 of 27

Tip??? What is that? All I get are complaints, that I am too expensive. Yeah right, but they want my all natural cakes, baked from scratch with all imported materials (had a couple fo food scandals here in CH.) but then turn round and complain, that I am more expensive than local bakeries. Duh, they don't make custom cakes either, and do not use, did I mention, imported ingredients???

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:34am
post #9 of 27

I have been tipped a few times but it makes me uncomfortable. I am the owner (and only worker) and I was always taught that you don't tip the owner. Of course, I have accepted the tip, don't want to insult my customer. LOL

Nytepyre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nytepyre Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 27

I've been tipped on my last two cakes, but that is possibly because I have made it known to my "clients" that since I am not legally licenced for a home kitchen yet I charge a rounded cost estimate while I'm waiting for licencing and building my portfolio and they wanted to pay me for my time as well. I don't take offence, I just accepted graciously and assured them that the overage would be used to purchase new equipment. icon_smile.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #11 of 27

I'd say about 1/3 of my clients tip...I'm always pleasantly surprised and very appreciative! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #12 of 27

Most of my cakes are paid for when picked up. (Yeah, shoot me icon_wink.gif )

The best way to get tipped is to not have change. Cake is $45, they give me $50. I don't have change so they tell me to just keep it.

J/K, I don't do that on purpose, but it does happen sometimes.

I've been tipped a few times, but not often.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #13 of 27

only tip I ever got was, "don't eat yellow snow"

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

only tip I ever got was, "don't eat yellow snow"

icon_surprised.gif hahahahha this made me laugh out loud!!!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #15 of 27

im an aussie and we dont tip so my thoughts are if you want more money for your product, charge more

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #16 of 27

I've gotten a few tips and love when I do, but normally nope, no tips :/

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:57am
post #17 of 27

Yup, about 3 out of 10 cakes. Usually for baby shower or birthday cakes. When I deliver the wedding cakes no one is usually there to tip me. Most weddings my tip is a wonderful thank you card that I save for the website!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:44am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuns

I find that I am paid to the CENT for every cake I make to the customer.... Does anyone ever get tipped in this industry? How can I encourage my customers to show their appreciation for the work put into the product and TIP!?

I suspect that what I'm about to type may ruffle some feathers, but here goes...

I'm not sure why you would think you are entitled to a tip. If you priced your cake appropriately, then I would think your customers would feel that price reflects what the cake is worth both in ingredients and the amount of work put into the cake. Does that make sense?

I'm sure for many it's the equivalent of getting any other food. Nobody tips the cashier when they buy their groceries. They buy their milk, bread, eggs, etc and then they leave. Just so we're clear, I am not comparing your cakes to the typical grocery store cakes or anything. I'm just trying to make a point.

If you deliver, do you charge a delivery fee? If so, then probably the customer feels like you are already being compensated.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #19 of 27

I don't feel I'm entitled to a tip and I NEVER expect a tip. I do have a few customers that tip me regularly though. I would say about 20% of the time I get a tip. I have customers round up to the nearest dollar quite often (don't consider that a tip though)....but on several occasions I have some people tip so much that it just about doubled the cost of the cake, I told them it was too much and refused the tip...they then told me to apply it to my "Cakes for Christ" program where I give cakes to low income families...so I did that.

When people hand me $40 instead of $30 for a cake...I always let them know....i don't have any change on me, but I can write you a check or get the cash to you tomorrow......at which point they always say...."oh no, you keep the extra $10, you deserve it this cake is fabulous"

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #20 of 27

I receive tips now and then, but do not expect them and am always surprised when I get one. As a rule, I don't charge for delivery, so that might explain why some people want to add on a gratuity.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 27

I have received several tips. The largest being 75.00 on a Bridal Shower cake. It was very nice and unexpected.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 27

It's not the norm but every now and then I'll get a tip. Once I even got a beautiful bouquet of flowers which for some reason meant more than any extra money because of the thought that went into it. Another time I was given a beautiful work planner from a local artist.

I'll often get thank you cards and notes, with photographer shots of their wedding cake.

As the owner/operator of my business, I don't expect but it does give you a nice feeling that your work is appreciated.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:22pm
post #23 of 27

I'd say 40% of the time I will get a tip and I am very humbled each time.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #24 of 27

I was always told that you don't tip a business owner.... so I am confused why any of you the OP would expect a tip.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuns

I suspect that what I'm about to type may ruffle some feathers, but here goes...

I'm not sure why you would think you are entitled to a tip. If you priced your cake appropriately, then I would think your customers would feel that price reflects what the cake is worth both in ingredients and the amount of work put into the cake. Does that make sense?

I'm sure for many it's the equivalent of getting any other food. Nobody tips the cashier when they buy their groceries. They buy their milk, bread, eggs, etc and then they leave. Just so we're clear, I am not comparing your cakes to the typical grocery store cakes or anything. I'm just trying to make a point.

If you deliver, do you charge a delivery fee? If so, then probably the customer feels like you are already being compensated.

I agree. When I think of tipping I think of waitresses that are getting paid minimum wage or delivery guys that delivered the pizza a lot faster than I thought it would take. If I'm getting paid top dollar already for my cakes, then why the tip?

And a side note that I noticed the last time hubby and I ordered a pizza. Hubby noticed when he completed the online order that they included a delivery fee, but did make sure to mention that the delivery fee was in no way considered a tip, so gratuity was not included. He was like, but what is the delivery fee covering? I guess with all these pizza places offering dirt cheap pizza during this economy, they had to come up with some other way to make up the difference. Just an interesting observation about how businesses are doing nowadays.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:15pm
post #26 of 27

I only make cakes for friends, but I've been tipped by all but one person. Maybe it's because they're my friends and they appreciate me a little more icon_smile.gif But it's been my experience that it is customary.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #27 of 27

I think the majority of people here on CC DONT expect to be tipped....and I'll clarify my post. Right or wrong, I dont charge for delivery so some people tip...I dont and never will expect it - I'm not going to look at them in disgust and snub my nose if they do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%