How Do I Get Rid Of Crumblies

Decorating By barb419 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 5:06pm by barb419

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:27am
post #1 of 10

I am new at cake decorating. All I have used frosting wise is store bought. I have made a few cakes where I cut out paterns. I was wondering if there was a way to frost the cut part of the cake without it falling apart or the frosting falling off. If the frosting decides to say on then it has alot of cake 'crumblies' in it. Any info would help. This is the most upsetting part of decorating my cakes so far, like I said I'm new at this. I really enjoy making cakes and would love to one day have cake central worthy cakes. icon_razz.gif Thanks in advance for any help.

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 10

Part of the problem is using the canned frosting. It is not the proper consistency for icing a cake nicely.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 10

Just what prterrell said. icon_smile.gif

Because if you're pulling up cake with the frosting, I'd say your frosting is too thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Most people crumb coat in order to seal in the crumbs on a freshly baked cake so that the crumbs don't appear on the finished iced surface.

I always crumb coat out of habit.

I lightly ice the cake with buttercream to the point where I can still see the color of the cake. I let it sit or refrigerate it at this point (because the crumb coat acts like a layer of saran wrap).

My icing only lightly crusts, but this just means that when you touch it, no icing comes up on your finger. When I go to put on the finish coat of icing, I get no cake crumbs on the surface this way. Another benefit can be that, especially in hot weather, the finished coat of icing is less likely to slide off of the cake sides.

HTH
Rae

You could also chill or freeze your cake/s to firm them up a bit. But thinning out the frosting will help a great deal.

Add more liquid to your buttercream so that it is a medium (spreadable) not thick consistency for one step/ finish b/c coating or thin for crumbcoat. Also, don't lift the spatula when you're moving the frosting around:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/using-a-spatula.cfm

HTH

barb419 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 10

ok so no canned frosting, check! So where would I find a good frosting recipe, and do I use a different recipe for the 'crumb coat'? Sorry for the 'obvious' questions but like I said I am new to this, and would really like to do more, and better, cakes. Thanks for the help!! Very greatly appreciated!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 10

A "good" frosting recipe is subjective! I love an all butter only buttercream, but many decorators use all shortening. Some use half butter and half shortening. Some use high ratio shortening, some use Crisco. You get the point! I think you could cruise the recipe section on this site and see what appeals to you and what others might have said about it. icon_smile.gif

And nope, use the same recipe to crumbcoat as you will to do the final coat of icing.

Keep reading here....you'll most likely find the answer to every single question you can think of!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

And nope, use the same recipe to crumbcoat as you will to do the final coat of icing.

However, if the recipe makes up a stiff frosting - you'll need to thin it or you'll have the same problem/s. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #7 of 10

You use the same frosting recipe for crumb coat and final coat, however, many frosting recipes come out too stiff for icing the cake/doing the crumb coat, so they have to be thinned. There are many frosting recipes on this site. Try them out until you find the one you like best.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #8 of 10

Welcome to CC Barb! These forums will teach you everything you want to know about decorating cakes and more! Good Luck to you thumbs_up.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:33am
post #9 of 10

I recently got the great advice on here to pipe on the icing - what a difference it made! It seals in all teh crumbles and you just smooth it lightly afterwards. I got the large Wilton cake icing tip and I LOVE IT!
It now takes half the time to frost and 1710 of the stress icon_smile.gif

barb419 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for all the help! thats a good idea egensinnig. Thanks for all the info janh, now i need to find time to sit and read it! Cant wait to try another cake with all the new info! THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%