Great Way To Ice Cake Dummies

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 21

Hey I'm sure you all already do this but this past week I wanted to do one of my cake dummies in royal icing instead of fondant to save money and also show a "buttercream" cake. I had no clue how I'd ice such a lightweight thing though.

So I got a board and my husband put like 4 nails up through it. Then I just pushed the styrofoam dummy onto the nails and it held it steady while I iced it on my turntable. Then I took two spatulas and carefully slid them under the edges of the "cake" and lifted it straight up off the nails. It worked perfectly!!!! Then I just set them aside to dry.

Thought I'd share just in case its an idea someone had not thought of. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #2 of 21

Thanks! I was just mulling that dilemma over a couple days ago. Was thinking I'd glue it with RI to my board, but didn't really like that idea.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 21

What a great idea.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 21

I wanted to add that the nails were only maybe 3" apart...just sort of a central "core" of four nails so any size of cake can fit on it, and its also easier to pull up off, as well.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 21

That seems like a great idea...thanks for sharing! Normally i secure it to its' circle then stick it to a larger larger circle to ice then remove from larger board after it's dried. Your idea will save me from using extra circles

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 21

I didn't even really use any circles since it was just a dummy cake....I just stuck each layer right on top of the next layer with royal. The board with nails was a thick wooden board, helped give weight to the dummy tier.

(btw the most recent upload in my photos, with daisies, is the one I iced on this board in this thread....)

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 21

Great idea...thanks for sharing...

FarrahFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarrahFace Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 21

I just got my dummies the other day. And since we are on the subject, Do I need to seal them with anything? Does the icing mess them up or make them greasy? New at the dummy thing.lol I thought maybe I should put something on them or over them. I don't know. Thanks in advance. Gonna do the nail rick though.. What a great idea.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:10am
post #9 of 21

It depends if you want them for permanent or temporary...

The ones I made for my show, I'm going to keep permanent and just wrap them up and store them for another show or whatever. I didn't use anything under the royal icing...and the royal icing got really hard.

I made a temporary one last year and I used a bit of crisco under the fondant and then when I got home I peeled off the fondant and washed the dummies with soap to get the crisco off.

I did use a thin layer of crisco under my fondant permanent ones too, just to help the fondant adhere.

all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #10 of 21

check this out...it's JUST the pronged piece for your turntable...I'm thinkin' you remove your round plate and insert this piece... DH with a piece of wood and some nails costs a heck of a lot less. thanks again kitagurl!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A2RVT4/?tag=cakecentral-20

I found it while looking for dummies (I know they're not the cheapest...I have a gift cert to use and was just checkin')

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:17am
post #11 of 21

Wow that's really cool! I wondered if anybody had made something like that. Seemed like I couldn't have possibly been the first to think of it!

The only question I have on that one is...where do you grab onto your cake to turn it? I guess you just put your hand on the underneath of the dummy and turn it....I liked being able to grab the wood and turn it, it felt more natural.

And cheaper...yep. haha.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #12 of 21

Also, if you have a larger dummy that you don't mind getting beat up, toothpicks do a good job too. icon_wink.gif I have a huge dummy for these purposes. i stick things in it to dry, I ice my larger squares on it, all sorts of stuff.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Also, if you have a larger dummy that you don't mind getting beat up, toothpicks do a good job too. icon_wink.gif I have a huge dummy for these purposes. i stick things in it to dry, I ice my larger squares on it, all sorts of stuff.

That's a good idea! I need me a large one to dry stuff on. icon_smile.gif I do have a wrapped square of styrofoam (never opened it from the store, didn't need it) that I use to dry stuff on if I have to.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 21

Hmmm...silly question that just occurred to me since I haven't made up a dummy version yet: what's the best kind of foam to use? Do you use the large-pore basic white stuff from craft stores, basic green stuff, the dense green floral foam...?

Love the nails-in-a-board idea, can't wait to try!

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 21

You should buy premade cake dummies from Dallas Foam...its the best.

I do like that Ateco thing...I was thinking it might not be best for buttercream but MAN for fondant wouldn't that be NICE!!!!! Saving it for the future...

all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 21

I wouldn't use floral foam for sure...

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #17 of 21

Why do they block www.**********.com here? Hm. Anyway its the best place to get dummies....they are like a high density foam, nothing like what you get at the craft stores.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 21

Much appreciated Kitagrl - I'll take a look at the site. My main concern right now is being able to afford them, which is why I asked about the generic craft store white blocks.

I've had a coworker who was recently engaged ask me if I do "fake cakes" since they want a traditional ginormous Tower of Cake but are having a very small reception. I told him I would come up with some designs and when we set up a tasting date he could see some samples.

I really appreciate all the advice (and patience) from everyone here.
Thanks guys!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 21

The above foam store is VERY affordable....

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 21

The above mentioned foam store is even cheaper on ebay!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #21 of 21

Wow. whoda thought???

I always order the 2" ones too as separators so that's a sort of custom thing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%