Copyright Question *help*

Decorating By patticake1956 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47am by patticake1956

patticake1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1956 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

Can I replicate a well known toy out of fondant for a cake with the logo on it? This is a cake for competition, not for sale. For example, if I'm making a box of crayons to put on the cake, and put the name Crayola on them, is this a copyright issue? If it is, can I just make a box of crayons that look a just like Crayola Crayons with no logo on them?

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 5

The key to what you said is that the cake is not for sale.

You can not legally sale a cake with a copyrighted image on it.

Now if you were making money off the cake, if the crayons looked like the Crayola ones and someone could look at them and say hey those are Crayola's, then it wouldn't matter if you left the logo of them off or not.

That is like making Minnie mouse in a yellow dress instead of red and saying it isn't Minnie.

But again this only matters if the cake is for sale. Unless the rules of the competition have anything in them about copyrighted images you shouldn't have any problems with it.

patticake1956 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 5

Great, thanks. Actually, I would love to NOT put the logo's on because I'm not sure I will get them just right without using an edible image and I just don't want to do an EI . It will look better with the logos because it will be obvious what they are anyway. Thanks for your input icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 5

Please read your competition rules and regulations VERY CAREFULLY.

Most rules now clearly state that no copyrighted images can be used on entries.

If the use of a copyrighted image is prohibited, your entry will be disqualified.

Rae

patticake1956 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

OMG icon_eek.gif I should have thought of that. Thank you, I will check it for sure. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%