Whipped Cream Frosting And Fondant

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm by krm52200

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for cupcakes with whipped cream frosting and fondant accents. I know you can't cover a cake in fondant on top of whipped cream but will the accents hold up? What about gumpaste? Ideally I would like to use fondant since its for a child's birthday party and the kids will want to eat the decorations. If it can't be done the mom is willing to use buttercream but whipped cream is the first choice.

Thanks for any tips.

Kelly

8 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:44am
post #2 of 9

If it's real whipped cream, the fondant will dissolve on your cupcakes; real whipped cream is just too "wet." What about a whipped cream substitute; do you have access to Rich's Bettercreme?

krm52200 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

If it's real whipped cream, the fondant will dissolve on your cupcakes; real whipped cream is just too "wet." What about a whipped cream substitute; do you have access to Rich's Bettercreme?

Thanks, that's what I thought. I do have bettercreme and had thought about using that instead. Do you think that will work better? I had thought I read somewhere that you can't use that with fondant either.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 9

Depending on the accents, (shape, size, etc.) you can coat the part that will touch the icing with melted chocolate, as a barrier. Of course this would not be practical if there are a lot of accents. That's how I did my Twilight cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1563906

Another thought: what about modeling chocolate? The works pretty well with whipped cream icing. (I do quite a lot of my cakes in whipped cream.) I did this one with modeling chocolate and whipped cream...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422536

Hope that helps!! icon_smile.gif

krm52200 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Depending on the accents, (shape, size, etc.) you can coat the part that will touch the icing with melted chocolate, as a barrier. Of course this would not be practical if there are a lot of accents. That's how I did my Twilight cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1563906

Another thought: what about modeling chocolate? The works pretty well with whipped cream icing. (I do quite a lot of my cakes in whipped cream.) I did this one with modeling chocolate and whipped cream...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422536

Hope that helps!! icon_smile.gif

OMG! Your cakes are beautiful! Thanks for the tip about putting the fondant on a base of chocolate. I would love to use modeling chocolate. I've never used it and have been waiting for an excuse. Maybe I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Any tips you have on using that would be most helpful! Two questions that come to mind - 1. How do you color it? and 2. how far in advance can you make it?

Thanks so much!

djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 9

I've used modeling chocolate made weeks ago...it just takes a little kneading, and maybe 10 secs in the micro to get it going again...it is a little harder to work with (I think) than fondant, but the taste is SOOOO much better! (I am not a big fondant fan...)
There is a recipe on here I use (melted chocoalte wafers + corn syrup) It looks kind of gross when you start mixing it, but after a little while in the fridge to set up, it will come together. It takes a lot of kneading. But you can basically do anything you do with fondant with it.
As for coloring it, I just make the color chocolate I want by mixing the different colored wafers (I always have them on hand, I decorate with it a LOT! works great on the whipped cream!) but you can also color the modeling chocolate with the gel paste colors once it has set up and you are kneading it.
I did roll it out once also to make dots for my son's birthday cake, so that type of application works as well. Same concept as when you are rolling fondant - dust w/a little cornstarch or powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

Overall, if def holds up against the whipped cream, especially if you let it harden up after shaping it.

HTH! Good luck!!

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 9

I always learn something from this site...great thread! Thanks for the helpful info djs328 icon_smile.gif

djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, and I am hoping to try gumpaste + WC soon...will let you know how that works out...I am hoping that b/c it is so hard when it dries, it would be ok....

One more thought (I always have 'one more thought'...have you noticed? icon_wink.gif Typically you are icing the whipped cream cake close to the party time anyhow (I typically do it within 24 hrs) so even if the fondant breaks down a little, it's not the worst thing - the kids are the ones eating it anyhow, and I've learned that they don't care! LOL!!!

krm52200 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 9

I've had success with gumpaste on WC as well as bettercreme. You're right, it dries so hard it doesn't break down at all. In this case though I'm sure the kids will want to eat the decorations so gumpaste is out.

Thanks for all your helpful tips. I'm going to give modeling chocolate a whirl and see how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%