Stencil And 4" Round...what The...?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:04am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 14

Trying stencils for the first time on a dummy cake...doing a hexagon cake and then a 4" top round one. The hexagon went okay for the first time...I need practice, but it will do.

The 4" one was horrid!!!!! The little details of the scrolling were popping up, even if I held just a small amount to the cake side...because of the curve.

What am I missing? Glad that top will be partially hidden by ribbon and a few big red roses because it looks SAD.....

13 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 14

When I stencil, I use a straight pin with a colored top to hold the stencil in place, that way I dont have to move it at all. The colored top helps me see them so I don't accidentally leave one in the cake. Hope this helps.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 14

yeah but even if I had done that, the details of the stencil still would have stuck up away from the cake due to the severe curve of the 4" topper....

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #4 of 14

I think part of it has to do with the thickness of the stencil. I have problems with some of mine sometimes and the little inside pieces sticking up.

I tried using a little thicker royal icing and smearing it in a direction that would make the piece lay down (with the grain so to speak). Then after lifting the stencil, I go back with a damp paintbrush and clean up the lines.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:34am
post #5 of 14

Oh okay thicker royal may have helped....it was SO hard to hold that booger still while I iced it. haha. Does the pin work on real cake or just a dummy cake?

I guess in a way it just takes practice like anything else.

From a distance it looks pretty good but when you look at it closely you can prolly tell its my first time haha. Still gotta take some pics of it when the sun comes back out!

2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 14

I have only done it on a real cake, also, can't you put the pin in the part that is sticking up?

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

I have only done it on a real cake, also, can't you put the pin in the part that is sticking up?

I don't think so...how would you smooth really thin over the stencil if there is a pin in the middle?

2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #8 of 14

Yes, but it is a TINY prick mark. You can then go back and fill that in. I don't really know, I haven't had the problem that you are having. I would just think it would be easier to fill in a pin prick that have the whole thing pop up like that.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

Yes, but it is a TINY prick mark. You can then go back and fill that in. I don't really know, I haven't had the problem that you are having. I would just think it would be easier to fill in a pin prick that have the whole thing pop up like that.

Ohhh. She said the kind with a colored head...that would be in the way...but if I used a regular one with a metal flat head that might work..

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #10 of 14

Do the pins really hold on a real cake?

2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #11 of 14

Yes. I have actually never stenciled on a dummy before. It would probably be easier. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #12 of 14

Guess I shoulda got here and asked BEFORE I made my cake. haha.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 14

I do a lot of stenciling and just taught a stenciling class. And,yes, pins will hold on a real cake. But. you have to put the pins on the ends of the stencils.
they wont work to hold stencil down in the middle.

aAnd I have not stenciled a 4" round, and,I am sure it protruds more than the 6 " however, when I get to a spot that sticks out. I go from top to bottom rather than side to side. It helps where the stencil sticks up.

Hope this helps

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

I do a lot of stenciling and just taught a stenciling class. And,yes, pins will hold on a real cake. But. you have to put the pins on the ends of the stencils.
they wont work to hold stencil down in the middle.

aAnd I have not stenciled a 4" round, and,I am sure it protruds more than the 6 " however, when I get to a spot that sticks out. I go from top to bottom rather than side to side. It helps where the stencil sticks up.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Will you go do a 4" for me and then tell me? haha. Just kidding...I did try the bottom to top or top to bottom but with the 4" the tiny details were really sticking out no matter what, (it was the rose/scrolls stencil and that rose center was just popping out every which way) and since I was doing black royal on white fondant any little smear was obvious.

My cake is going to look okay for the brides but for my eyes I know I need practice. I just didn't realize that with a severe curve that the stencil would become very very difficult...kinda dumb for my first time haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%