Help! How Much To Charge For A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By connerart Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 2:34am by kelleym

connerart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connerart Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake for a lady and she just told me that she wants it in fondant! I have just been making cakes for fun and don't really know how much to charge.

I was making a 12x17 Charger cake. and I told her $40-45 depending on what she want on it. Now fondant. Not sure how much I should charge her.

Can some one help me? Want to know what you all think.
Thanks.

9 replies
connerart Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:56am
post #2 of 10

It is for the 13th!!! I am thinking maybe $12 more. Too much, too little?

This is the second time I will be making a fondant cake. The first was for my sister's wedding.

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 10

How much more will it cost you to make? Everyone is from a different part of the world, what someone here will answer may not apply to your locations. Your costs could be very different. I don't really expect anyone to give you an answer to your question.

connerart Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

Well, it would be about the same as the states. We just moved here and we live on a Marine base. I just need an idea of what others normally charge.

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 10

Yes, but each state and even within states can have vast differences in price. I live in Los Angeles, my prices would be MUCH higher than someone in say, Kansas. You need to do the work and figure out your costs, and how much money you want to make on the transaction and charge accordingly. Or check local bakeries and see what they would charge.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by connerart

Well, it would be about the same as the states. We just moved here and we live on a Marine base. I just need an idea of what others normally charge.

Actually it should be alot more because supplies aren't readily available as the states. Are you purchasing fondant? If you are the only fondant available is the nasty wilton fondant icon_redface.gifThe last thing you would want to do is to be associated with the taste of it. Do you know how to make fondant it would taste alot better if you use mff or mmf?

I just recently moved from Okinawa and sometimes the cake decorating supplies can get scarce and you have to pay alot of money to have fondant shipped in because of course it is heavy.

When asking these kind of pricing questions it helps to know a few things such as how much your materials cost you and how much profit you want to make, what the size of you cake is and the type of decorations. I know from experience that utilities aren't a factor but the time it takes for you to do this. Don't sell yourself short thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

connerart Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

I was thinking of trying to make the mmf. and we are in Okinawaicon_smile.gif
Thanks.

Pacific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pacific Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #8 of 10

First find out how much it is going to cost to cover the cake in fondant. Whether you purchase it or make it...it is going to cost you $$. Secondly, how much time is it going to take you to put it on etc. Then add 10% for your profit so that you can buy more supplies and tools and pans etc.

I believe that most people under charge for the cakes they produce as they are only doing it as a favour for friends/family. Have a base price and go from there.

Good luck!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by connerart

I was thinking of trying to make the mmf. and we are in Okinawaicon_smile.gif
Thanks.

How do I miss it icon_cry.gif but in any case if you are trying to build a business I would either purchase some of your supplies in quantity if/when you order online especially your glycerin because they run out of that frequently!! Have you been to Crafty Things? They are across the street from the old bx building on Kadena. We moved before they opened the new bx on Kadena so I am not sure how much cake stuff they have but before it was really sad. I usually would order my glycerin from online at about 7 or 8 dollars a bottle but it would last me a good while but of course I would order more than just that to justify the expense of shipping (but of course it would be a way for me to get new stuff to try) icon_lol.gif

In anycase there are a couple of pricing threads on the top of the page of cake decorating business one of them is alice pricing matrix and it will help you to get a better hold on what you are spending on your supplies and you will see it adds up real quick icon_surprised.gif

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me and I will do my best to help you (from one military spouse to another ) icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 10

In the States it is very typical for people to charge $1 more per serving for fondant than buttercream. Not a hard and fast rule by any means, but typical.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%