Gumpaste Roses - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 4:59am by Flourgirls2010

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 7

I've always made gumpaste roses using the single petal method, but I have a cake where I will need over 50, and just don't have the time. So I bought the 5 petal cutters.

The bottom part of my roses are so FAT. FAT, FAT, FAT. Like they have a big ol' butt.

Is that just part of what you get when you use the 5 petal cutters because the centers build up at the bottom, or am I doing something wrong? Are my center cones too big? Is there a way to minimize this?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have some pictures of your roses and bases?

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 7

If it is building up on the bottom, it seems as though your center is too small. This could be either the height or the thickness of the base. Try making it a little larger. If you still have problems, send me a pm.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure you make your cone the size that it shows on the 5-petal cutter. I make mine that size and don't any problems with fat bottoms like I used to.

Flourgirls2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flourgirls2010 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 7

I have recently tried to teach myself how to do gumpaste roses using a five petal cutter. My problem is trying to keep the center cone on the wire or toothpick. I end up feeling like im pushing the petals together too much and they are only small buds. Any advice on how make them bigger and more realistic without losing their shape?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:25am
post #6 of 7

Flourgirls, are you drying the cone on the wire overnight or longer, if it takes longer to dry?

Not all 5 petal cutters are created equal. Wilton has some that are supposed to be 5 petal cutters but they're not. You have to cut between each petal and they don't make very big roses at all. The Jem cutters are the way to go.

Here's a tutorial I found on making roses, that was really helpful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/ You have to scroll down through the comments to find the link to the tutorial.

Flourgirls2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flourgirls2010 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:59am
post #7 of 7

i had been letting them drying for a few hours, but i will try leaving them for at least 24 hours. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%