About To Make Sugarshack's Bc But Am Out Of Hi-Ratio...

Baking By sugarMomma Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm by lecrn

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 11

so I am planning on using regular ole grocery store brand veg shortening (not Crisco!)...will this be a problem? At this point I really have no choice but to forge ahead, just wondering what to expect.

10 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 11

it'll be ok - make sure your cream is hot and beat the beejeezus out of it icon_smile.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

NO! You will get very grainy buttercream. I tried it, had to throw out 6 qts of buttercream. I nearly cried. And yes, my cream was hot and I beat it forever! Then waited a day or two and hoped. It only got worse.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 11

I was successful making it with regular store brand when I ran out of hi-ratio. BUT you don't have as much play time with it before it crusts past the point of no return. (of course, i take, like, for-ever to frost a cake!). icon_razz.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 11

Also, don't add all the liquid all at once as Crisco can't absorb the same amount of liquid as hi-ratio - or else your b/c could become too thin/runny.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 11

Jan H, I wish I had read your reply before I made it...It did turn out thinner than I wanted.

It is still ok, not grainy, just very soft. I will definitely use less liquid next time if this happens again. But I really just need to get some more hi-ratio. My cake store has ridiculous prices, who has best on-line deals?

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 11

I found the best deal for me would be to order off ebay:
(because the shipping was so much more reasonable than at their website)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sweetex-High-Ratio-Shortening-50-lbs_W0QQitemZ200365112203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCookware_Bakeware?hash=item2ea6b0fb8b

HTH

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 11

Country Kitchen Sweet Art has 50# hi-ratio shortening (not sweetex) for $80 plus $15 shipping. That's the cheapest that I've found. I use it all the time & it works great.

JanH Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 11

Wow, that's a great shipping rate. icon_biggrin.gif

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:24am
post #10 of 11

I tried hi-ratio shortening with Sharrons recipe and I hated it. I will never use hi-ratio again...and yes I tried it more than once. Store brand works great for me and is by far the cheapist way to go.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Wow, that's a great shipping rate. icon_biggrin.gif

I can't remember the name of the shortening. I think it's Baker's something? I always scoop it out by cups when I get the 50# box & toss the box. I've never used Sweetex, so I can't compare the two.
I believe that the website states that an additional $5 may be added to shipping, but I've never had that charge. I guess it depends on where you're located.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%