Cake Dummies

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 4:40am by leah_s

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 10

where do you all get yours? I would like to find the best place to buy them online, but I'm also wondering if anyone knows where to get them locally as I'm wanting to try one out tonight. Does Michaels or Joanns sell them?
Thanks!

9 replies
agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 10

I don't buy "dummies" cause they cost a lot when you compare them to regular styrofoam. I just buy styrofoam from Joannas and use that, sometimes you have to use 2 pieces taped together to get the high height but it still works.

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

I usually get mine from Global Sugar Art because I buy other supplies from them, but there are few other sources out there as well.

www.taylorfoam.com

www.dallas-foam.com

This one has the most unique shapes I've found so far:

http://www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake_dummies.html

HTH

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #4 of 10

thanks for the replies! I'll definitely check out Joanns tomorrow and see if they have some good styrofoam icon_smile.gif

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 10

Don't buy them from a website because you will pay and arm and a leg, and buying precut pieces of styrofoam will cost more.....check out this thread

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6568155-.html#6568155

I think for the cake dummies I have (which I have listed on my other post) I made for about 20 bucks and an hour of my time!

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 10

I just got some 8 x 1 1/2 inch circles from Joann's last week and paid 3.12 for a 2 pack. To make from 4 inches high I just crumble up some reynolds wrap in between the two layers before I wrap it in plastic wrap, that way I don't have to mess with the cutting and all that. About 4 bucks when it all done, I dont think that was all that bad for not having to do anything cutting and what not. And if you have a coupon ( which you can print from joann's website) its even cheaper. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 10

You know, it's all about how YOU want to spend YOUR time and money....

I've made my own dummies having bought sheets of styrofoam from Joanne's. I really HATE the sound, the texture, and the mess. For things other than rounds and squares, measuring and cutting angles and straight sides is another set of painful factors-- and on the larger sheets, mistakes are costly.

My choice has been to use my time and $ in other ways, so I've ordered from guildcraftfurniture.com

I've been very impressed with their customer service and packing. My last order was a mix of large and huge dummies---9 of them. They came packed in a double walled box with furniture cushion foam sheets for protection. All of the edges were straight and crisp and the foam + box are useful for other applications. I think they averaged less than $5 each..........

I also re-use ALL of my dummies. I put those that will fit in the dishwasher, run it without soap, let them warm air dry in the machine, and voila--ready to go again. This works well with the pebble foam dummies that you'll get from the suppliers mentioned in this thread. If you buy from Joanne's or Michaels, you'll most likely be getting flora/large cell foam, and that's a big mess in the dishwasher (they flake and dent much more readily, but they're easier to cut, sand, and shape for homemade dummies).

Happy Decorating!
Rae

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #8 of 10

Are the styrafoam dummies heavy enough to sit still while you decorate? Or do you have to weight them dowm? Thanks

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #9 of 10

It is easy to put fondant on them and then attach to a cake board. The weight of the fondant usualy keeps it from moving. If it does place it on a non slip surface.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #10 of 10

I've bought many from dallas foam. And I reuse them as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%