Keeping Cakes Fresh

Decorating By cgm_cakes Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:14pm by MARTIEQZ

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

I work full time and need to make a fondant covered cake that will be delivered Thursday right after work so I have to have it fully decorated Wed night. If I bake the cakes on Tues. evening, how can I keep them fresh and moist? The cakes will be a double vanilla pound cake.

I've never had to bake 2 days in advance before. Thanks for the tips.

Also, for those of you who freeze your cakes to keep them moist, how and when do you do this? I've read wrapping them hot, right out of the oven and I've read letting them cool first. Thanks for your input.

4 replies
sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 5

i bake, let cool enough for me to handle them then wrap tightly and into the freezer they go. Take out day I need to decorate, let thaw while still wrapped. Unwrap and decorate. Will be decorating a cake for Thursday my self tonight. HTH!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

Yes freeze them straight from the oven...wrap them in PressN seal wrap and freeze! The cake will be fresh and moist well into the weekend! Because of my schedule I bake on Wednesday's decorate on Friday and deliver on the weekends. Sometimes I can squeeze in bake time on Tuesday's but my schedule changed so I only have a small 2 hour window to bake on Tuesdays now. My life is crazy right now icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 5

i dont normally freeze cakes, and in this cake i wouldnt bother either. most cakes, especially a pound cake, will keep a good few days, as long as it it covered and sealed, (think clingfilm, crumb coat, airtight box) it will be fine.
xx

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 5

I also work full time and run into this situation alot. I do, however, freeze my cakes all the time, sometimes even if I don't have to. They are more moist than if I don't. When I have several cakes, I start baking and freezing Sunday. I have several and one huge one this Saturday. I am planning to start crum coating today Monday or tomorrow Tuesday. Think they'll be ok?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%