Tips On Thawing Out Frozen Cake

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm by cakesdivine

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hi ladies. I made the rounds for my sons bday cake over the weekend and wrapped them in plastic wrap, foil and put them in ziplock bags and I froze them. This is the first time i have frozen cake and i wanted to know what was the best way to defrost? i was thinking on defrosting thursday and decorating friday for the party on saturday.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

You can unwrap and fill it on Thursday morning, re wrap loosly in plastic and let it sit on the counter. It needs several hours to settle anyway before you can decorate. Unthawing and settling can happen at the same time. I speed up the settling by placing one ceramic tile on top of the wrapped cake.

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

so fill the cake and crumb coat while it is still frozen? then let it defrost and set up all together? sorry to sound clueless im new to freezing lol

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, leah, I never thought about filling and defrosting at the same time! what a timesaver thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

I freeze all my cakes, I fill & ice or crumbcoat them semi frozen (about 10-15 minutes after removing from freezer). If I need to cover with fondant, I allow them to sit for about an hour then refrigerate to harden the crumbcoat (my BC is non-crusting), then cover with fondant. If you allow the cake to defrost in the wrapping it will become gummy. Level them after the 10 to 15 minute defrost.

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I freeze all my cakes, I fill & ice or crumbcoat them semi frozen (about 10-15 minutes after removing from freezer). If I need to cover with fondant, I allow them to sit for about an hour then refrigerate to harden the crumbcoat (my BC is non-crusting), then cover with fondant. If you allow the cake to defrost in the wrapping it will become gummy. Level them after the 10 to 15 minute defrost.

can i fill and crumb coat 10 - 15 after they get out of the freezer then put in the fridge until the next day and do the fondant and decorating the next day?

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

I have found just the opposite. I leave my cakes covered till completely defrosted because then the condensation forms on the outside of the wrapper and not on the cake itself. The wrapping does have to be firmly on there otherwise it will get gummy because the condensation will be on the cake.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 8

Yes cake_newbie, you can!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%