This Bride Is Driving Me Nuts!!! (Pricing & More???)

Decorating By kccliff Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 6:44am by LaBellaFlor

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 14

Ok. So I gave a quote to a bride for a 4,8,12,16 tiered cake. Only the 4 and 16 are real. She wanted a quilted pattern on all sizes ranging in size of pattern on each layer. Then she wanted the bottom layer dark violet then each layer upwards getting a bit lighter than the last. I'm doing this cake for a friend of mine who is unable to make it herself due to an illness. So last minute I charged $300. Out of the goodness of my heart. The bride thinks it's too much now wants a price with just the tiers wrapped in ribbon and all one colour. She's waiting for a quote from me.

I almost don't want to because she's going on a rough quote my friend gave her a year ago.

What would you do?? Or what would you charge?

13 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 14

This cake serves 186, with a discount for the dummies, I would be charging $680. And thats a starting price for fondant by the way. I would walk away from this bride, cause testing the goodness of my heart may lead me to rip out hers.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

This cake serves 186, with a discount for the dummies, I would be charging $680. And thats a starting price for fondant by the way. I would walk away from this bride, cause testing the goodness of my heart may lead me to rip out hers.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 14

Walk away!

To quote a famous man "Run hard, run fast, run like Mexican water through a first-time tourist". Al Bundy--Married with children.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 14

Definitely, Run don't walk, she wants something for nothing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 14

I would be too busy to fit it into my schedule icon_smile.gif.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 14

tell her that apparently your cakes are too good for her, and that you are booked that day. icon_biggrin.gif

tell her....no cake for you !!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccliff

I almost don't want to because she's going on a rough quote my friend gave her a year ago.

Key words here.....

"ROUGH quote" (rough is just that .... rough. Not final)
"My FRIEND gave her" (She's not dealing with your friend anymore, is she?)
" a YEAR ago" (do I really have to address this one? icon_confused.gif )

My price for a fondant cake for 186 servings would end up being over $800.

See my blog for article on pricing dummies.

If $300 is too much for her, send her price shopping.

Marinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marinette Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:14am
post #9 of 14

Indydebi your pricing page is very good!!!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:20am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Key words here.....

"ROUGH quote" (rough is just that .... rough. Not final)
"My FRIEND gave her" (She's not dealing with your friend anymore, is she?)
" a YEAR ago" (do I really have to address this one? icon_confused.gif )

My price for a fondant cake for 186 servings would end up being over $800.

See my blog for article on pricing dummies.

If $300 is too much for her, send her price shopping.

You are right Indy.

Also did she give your friend a hard time as well? I myself would bring her down from her cloud

Note to Indy:

It always amazes me how you a proffesional (IMO) alwasy finds time to give your great insight, even though we sometimes dont like to hear it because "truth hurts" Its just very kind of you to take the time from what (I assume busy schedule) to help us out.

I mean this in a good way and I do not mean to offend in any way icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:23am
post #11 of 14

Not offended at all, and I appreciate and treasure the compliment! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

You are too funny! icon_lol.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

Ok. So I gave a quote to a bride for a 4,8,12,16 tiered cake. Only the 4 and 16 are real. She wanted a quilted pattern on all sizes ranging in size of pattern on each layer. Then she wanted the bottom layer dark violet then each layer upwards getting a bit lighter than the last. I'm doing this cake for a friend of mine who is unable to make it herself due to an illness. So last minute I charged $300. Out of the goodness of my heart. The bride thinks it's too much now wants a price with just the tiers wrapped in ribbon and all one colour. She's waiting for a quote from me.

This wasnt a bride, but i had a Mommy to be ask about a sheet cake with a belly cake on top , gave her the price , then she came back with ( What if they were separated) LOL Same Price icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:44am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

This wasnt a bride, but i had a Mommy to be ask about a sheet cake with a belly cake on top , gave her the price , then she came back with ( What if they were separated) LOL Same Price icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%