Need Help Making A Wicker Basket Cake

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 2:34am by msulli10

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make a large wicker basket cake. I was thinking of making 11X15 rectangle cakes and stacking it approx. 10 - 11 inches high and will carve slightly to enhance the shape.
I think this will make about 150 servings.
My question is this - what kind of supports do I put in the cake. I know I have to put the cakes on cardboard, probably half way up. Should I use cardboard or foamboard and should I also put dowels in the cake for extra stability.
I was going to pipe the basketweave and then airbrush.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have to deliver this cake - approximately 20 miles so I don't want any of the icing to slip off the cake.

Thanks for reading this!

5 replies
msulli10 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 6

Nobody out there can help me???

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

Hmm....that's a lot of cake! OK, here are my thoughts (and I'm NO expert, so take it for what it's worth!! icon_smile.gif
I would probably do it in 3 sections - doweling between the sections. (are you filling the cake? I am assuming yes...
So I would do 1 11x13 then put another on top, on a piece of foamboard (wrapped in cling wrap) with dowels supporting underneath. Then repeat. I would probably also do a couple of dowels all the way through the whole tower of cakes.
Good luck! Sounds like a big one! icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks djs328. I appreciate it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with djs328. Boards and dowels approximately every 4 inches. I prefer to use 3/16" foamboard rather than cardboard.

If you're filling the layers with something other than buttercream, you may want to stack the layers with a relatively small piece of foamboard (or whatever you're using to separate), carve the cake, then take the layers apart. Dam, fill, stack and dowel as normal. This will prevent your carving through the dam and into the filling.

I also agree with djs328 regarding driving a couple of long, sharpened dowels all the way through the cake and down into the baseboard for extra stability.

msulli10 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6

This is so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%