Hair Salon Wants To Advertise My Cakes ...advice Please!

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 12:10am by Cakeonista

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, Was wondering what you all thought about this idea. A new hair salon in my area has just opened and wants to have a coffee, cake, cupcake or cookie table. She would like for me to bring in my baked goods and she will put them out with my business cards for her clients to enjoy. Do you think this is a good idea and how would you go about it. Just on saturdays maybe being their busiest days and how often and what type of baked goods. This can be a little expensive if I were to supply them every saturday with baked goods and a big cake seems to be a little difficult in the serving department for a salon. Any input would be greatly appreciated,not sure if I should even begin this.

3 replies
beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 4

Well, samples can be a tricky thing. I have set up a "sample" table at a local craft shop for a couple special events. I took mini cupcakes, pictures of my work and business cards. I have gotten SEVERAL orders from ladies that picked up a card in the shop on those days. However, if this is something she wants you to do regularly, I would think that could get quite pricey! Also, if this is something that she wants to do as a service for her clients, I would think that she is the one getting a great deal here. I would try to work out some kind of discounted rate so that you both win. And yes, definitely something that can just be picked up and enjoyed, no serving involved!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 4

So, how about cuppies and/or cookies? I love your orange and lemon slice cookies, BTW.

If you decide to give it a try, you'll need to set some ground rules of course, you don't want to be at the salon's beck and call. I'd look at it like low cost advertising, do seasonal items, try new techniques.

Maybe you could barter salon services for yourself or a family member in exchange for supplying X number of treats per week...just kind of thinking out loud.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for some great ideas. Some great pieces of advice I have to keep thinking about and decide on. Salon services is really a great idea, I spend a fortune at my salon every month. The grays came in early. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%