Wasc Strawberry Cake?

Baking By mommybaker602 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm by Jenala87

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 11

Can I use a strawberry cake mix to do this instead of a white cake mix? My client wants a strawberry cake. I know I read that you could thaw frozen berries and use the juice, but does that give it a strong enough taste?

Thanks!

10 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 11

Find the WASC recipe that calls for whole eggs, instead of just egg whites and use that with your strawberry cake mix. I've done it and it tastes wonderful. It's one of my most requested cake flavors.

mommybaker602 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I have a recipe that has many variations.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 11

I was just thinking that the WASC using strawberry mix and using champagne as the liquid instead of water might be mighty tasty since Champagne and strawberries go so well together. I might have to give it a try.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I was just thinking that the WASC using strawberry mix and using champagne as the liquid instead of water might be mighty tasty since Champagne and strawberries go so well together. I might have to give it a try.

Yummy...think I will make that today for my father-in-laws bd cake. Since that idea sounded so good what kind of icing would you use?

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 11

I did some tweaks to a WASC Strawberry recipie I found here on CC and it turned out awesome. What I did was start out with a strawberry cake mix instead of white, used strawberry yogurt in place of the sour cream, then I used strawberry drink syrup (used to make strawberry flavored milk) for at least half the liquid and water for the rest. I found that the Lorann oil almost left a little bit of a bitter taste, so I was looking for a different way to add strawberry flavoring, and the syrup worked perfectly. By the way I also use the syrup in my buttercream to make strawberry buttercream, and it tastes really good too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenala87

I did some tweaks to a WASC Strawberry recipie I found here on CC and it turned out awesome. What I did was start out with a strawberry cake mix instead of white, used strawberry yogurt in place of the sour cream, then I used strawberry drink syrup (used to make strawberry flavored milk) for at least half the liquid and water for the rest. I found that the Lorann oil almost left a little bit of a bitter taste, so I was looking for a different way to add strawberry flavoring, and the syrup worked perfectly. By the way I also use the syrup in my buttercream to make strawberry buttercream, and it tastes really good too.

I think I will add some of the strawberry syrup to my buttercream as well. That sounds really good thanks.

mommybaker602 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenala87

Was the consistency okay with the strawberry yogurt? That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately my client wants vanilla buttercream icon_sad.gif The strawberry syrup is a great idea. I'm headed to the store now to get strawberry cake mix!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 11

I love all the ideas for tweaking a strawberry cake. The yogurt and strawberry syrup are things that I hadn't thought about before, but they sound so good.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 11

I used the liquid strawberry margarita mix that comes in a bottle for all of my liquid.

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 11

the consistency is fine with the yogurt...just remember to replace the sour cream with yogurt, do not use both. I too tried using the frozen drink mix when experimenting, but did not think it gave as good of results, but that is just my opinion and taste buds icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%