Can I Use Edible Wafers...?

Decorating By MommaBay Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 3:07am by Win

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

I bought a bag of Galerie's Edible Wafer hearts. They are white, pale pink, and deep pink (not that color or shape matters). I bought them to decorate 2 cakes for Valentine's Day but I want to make sure they aren't gonna "melt". So can I place them on buttercream?

7 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 8

I saw some at Michaels the other day and thought they were charming. I did not read the packaging, but I would assume that they are made from all the same ingredients as traditional wafer paper. Wafer paper can be applied to any surface including buttercream so the same rules should apply to the hearts. HTH!

MommaBay Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 8

I just wasn't sure how well they do hold up though. I mean, Can I apply them the day before? I did buy the ones from Michael's. For $1.99 for the bag, I thought that would make my life easier for doing 2 kids party cakes that I need to do icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBay

I just wasn't sure how well they do hold up though. I mean, Can I apply them the day before? I did buy the ones from Michael's. For $1.99 for the bag, I thought that would make my life easier for doing 2 kids party cakes that I need to do icon_smile.gif

I have never had wafer paper break down in just a day. If you are still worried, why not do a trial run? Just put a dollop of buttercream down on a plate and sprinkle a few of the wafers on it. It should give you an accurate portrayal of how long they will hold up in a normal room under normal circumstances. icon_smile.gif

MommaBay Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 8

Win - Thanks.. yeah see, I dont think of things like that! Thanks so much. I will try that.

Win Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8

I'd love to know how the experiment turns out... I'm sure there are variables such as humidity, moisture in the bc, (or other things I'd never even think of, etc.) that will affect the outcome. Hoping you don't have too much to worry about though.

Happy Caking!

MommaBay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:35am
post #7 of 8

they lasted absolutely perfectly for days without any problems (I am happy to report).

Win Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBay

they lasted absolutely perfectly for days without any problems (I am happy to report).

Happy Dance just for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%