Homemade Gumpaste Or Store Bought?

Decorating By ltj2010 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm by cakeandpartygirl

ltj2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltj2010 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 16

Is it better to buy gumpaste or to make it myself? I recently made a batch of gumpaste and it seems alright, but its really sticky, I even kneeded in an extra 1.5 cups of sugar and its still sticky. Any suggestions??

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 16

I make my own, but I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe with tylose. I tried the wilton recipe a few times and it didn't work well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:32am
post #3 of 16

always use wilton premade.. (don,t use the one in the can) or nick lodges recipe.. love them both...i teach with it at michaels. the students work great with it. hth

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 16

I make my own but it's because it's more cost effective but I have found out that fondant with tylose powder is easier but it depends on your application.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:59am
post #5 of 16

Where can I get Nick Lodge's receipe for gum paste?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #6 of 16

I love tylose gumpaste over store bought any day of the week.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Do you mean the receipe on the can of tylose? I would really like to make my own as store bought is so expensive. Thanks.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:27am
post #8 of 16

My customers highly prefer the taste of my homemade Marshmallow Fondant over any other. However, I do use Satin Ice when I need dk. chocolate, or a lot of black or deep red. It's quite tasty too, but more expensive.

icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:34am
post #9 of 16

nicholaslodge.com... recipe for gumpaste... using tylose.. makes up beautifully .. and dries really good.. when i teach g/p at michaels.. i use the wilton pre-made g/p.... because IT IS A WILTON PRODUCT.. and i ask the students to buy it... because it is a wilton class. they work really well with it.. i do tell them about other products.. i give them home made recipes, etc.. so they can go on with their decorating.. after wilton..

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:03am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Do you mean the receipe on the can of tylose? I would really like to make my own as store bought is so expensive. Thanks.

That is the same recipe Nicks uses. The recipe is in my website too.
Is a really good easy to make kind of gumpaste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:20am
post #11 of 16

yeh i just started using tylose with fondant and is SO much cheaper than having to keep buying store bought gumpaste

For me i can either buy gumpaste at $23 per 1kg or i can use tylose and fondant for probably approx $10 per 1 kg......SAVINGS!!!!!!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:52am
post #12 of 16

I started out in my sugarpaste classes over a year ago using Nick's recipe for gumpaste and found my batches weren't consistent, could have very well been my own fault, but I searched for a different recipe and found Scott Clark Woolley's recipe for gumpaste. OMG, it is fabulous! It is the same consistency as the good quality British sugarpaste/gumpaste that my instructor uses.

In my experience Nick's gumpaste recipe makes the flowers more prone to snapping once dried. The best thing about his is that it lasts a very very long time in the fridge and have had no issues with it going bad.

With Scott's recipe, it is a much better firmer consistency with the use of the gelatine in it and I can roll it out much thinner. The only negative is that it does not last if kept outside the fridge for a long period, let's say 3 weeks. BUT, I do keep it in my kit ready for class every week and it is fine. I keep it wrapped in plastic wrap, in a ziploc bag and then put in a sealed container. I use tylose and rosewater instead of plain water.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/GumPasteRecipe.html

I highly recommend it! thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:08am
post #13 of 16

i have made and used scotts recipe also.. yes, it is very good too.. i love his way of teaching g/p flowers,etc. also.. i have all of his dvds.. can sit and watch them for hours.. i teach g/p here at times.. i make this recipe for class for the students.. and also nicks... and wiltons.. the students work well with it all..

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:26am
post #14 of 16

I just made the Wilton recipe this week and was not really happy with it. I will have to try some of these other recipes. Thanks for sharing!!

mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:12pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

That is the same recipe Nicks uses. The recipe is in my website too.
Is a really good easy to make kind of gumpaste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 16

I have found that when I make the wilton's recipe you add all of the powdered sugar at once instead of adding more the next day. I found that by accident the first time making it I didn't follow the directions and then tried it by the directions the second time and it was a flop and have been making it like that (adding all of the ps at once) ever since...well at least until I tried fondant with tylose icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%