3D Tombstone Cake

Decorating By rlovecakecreations Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 1:42pm by KHalstead

rlovecakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlovecakecreations Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to make an over the hill tombstone cake. What was ordered is a 1/2 sheet cake with a (cake) tombstone coming out of the cake, kind of crooked like a halloween tombstone cake. The tombstone has writing on it and weeds and black roses at the base of the tombstone. My question is does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the tombstone sticking out of the base cake without it falling over?

2 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #2 of 3

Are you covering the tombstone in fondant? If so, mark out where the tombstone is going on the "ground", and then decorate the "ground". Then build your tombstone, and leave 4 bubble straws sticking out of each corner, so that when you place your tombstone it will be a bit more secure.

If you are traveling with it, might I suggest that you leave room for the tombstone, and decorate around it, and place the tombstone on at your destination?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

I would bake a 1/4 sheet cake and cut it into thirds, stack all three layers on top of eachother (u might only need to use 2 layers depending on how tall you want to go) and then bake a 8" round (if using an 8"x12" 1/4 sheet) or a 9" round (if using a 9"x13" 1/4 sheet)and cut that round cake in half and stack the 2 halves back to back for the rounded part of the top of the tombstone.

Hope that makes sense? I would put each layer on it's own board and dowel at least 1/2 way up the tombstone to be on the safe side. Additionally I would put a couple dowels down through the entire tombstone and into the bottom cake.

Are you traveling with this thing fully assembled?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%