Will Dummy Cake Be Ok? How About Gumpaste?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:10am by BlakesCakes

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 8

If I take a dummy cake from a very dry enviroment (Las Vegas) to a humid city (San Diego), will it be ok? Is there something I have to do?

How about gumpaste flowers and figures? Will they get soft? It will be for a competition and I have no idea what to expect once my cakes arrive there.

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 8

Hi Rylan,

How about placing some of those little Silica packets like they put in shoe boxes, handbags etc., in the box with the dummy and gumpaste flowers, to help with the humidity?

Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 8

I found a link that may better explain what I was speaking about.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question206.htm

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 8

What a brillante idea - will keep that logged in the brain vault for furture referance.

thumbs_up.gif Deb.

Bluehue

Rylan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #5 of 8

Thank you, Deb. Do you think I would need a lot of those? I'll be bringing two cakes plus some elements. Also, will there be any problems once the cake is on display? Will some of the elements droop?

Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8

I would think one packet in each box would be plenty depending on how big a box you use. If it's real large add 2.

As far as once your cake is displayed....won't the venue be air-conditioned? I would guess it is and it should be fine.

Good luck....keep us updated on how it goes!

Rylan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 8

Thank you! I'll get some silica gels this week.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 8

The silica, etc., can help during transport, but if the environment in which the cake will be displayed isn't climate controlled properly, then all bets are off.

My display at the Omaha ICES a few years ago made the trip beautifully from Cleveland by plane, but the convention hall was warm and very humid. It took about 24hrs. for the carnage to begin and by the end of 4 days, pretty much every cake in the room had been affected. Mine was a baby shower cake with a half round "hood" made of gum paste. It had been rock solid, but by the end of the event, it had collapsed completely.

With competitions, judging is usually done within the first few hours of display, so entries are seen at their prime.

Good luck!
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%