Starting My New Business

Decorating By Rylan Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 3:15am by EvMarie

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 15

Last year, I have gathered all the information about opening an online business selling custom molds. In addition, I have thought of selling custom cutters as well.

Right now, I'm thinking of the designs of the cutters. I know scroll and damask cutters are getting popular but expensive.

Do you any other ideas? Something that are not usually available? Something that you wish was cheaper?

14 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 15

Good Luck!

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 15

Great business idea! I will like to see cutters that can be use as stencils, so instead of using icing I just use my cutter and fondant.

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 15

How about cutters that cut a lot of one shape at once? For instance, instead of having to cut 50 circles out of fondant individually, there was a cutter that had 10 circles on each one. I hope this makes sense!? icon_smile.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

How about cutters that cut a lot of one shape at once? For instance, instead of having to cut 50 circles out of fondant individually, there was a cutter that had 10 circles on each one. I hope this makes sense!? icon_smile.gif

That's a great idea! Would be very helpful for those polka dot/striped/flower covered cakes. Wish I thought of that!

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:39am
post #6 of 15

wow sugarjones!!! great idea...

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 15

wow sugarjones!!! great idea...

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #8 of 15

Might just be me but mini cutters, really small shapes, flowers, butterfly etc. I would like an inch and smaller. I have seen some mini cutters but very limited selection.

Rylan Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #9 of 15

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Pearlydi, definitely using that idea. That would mostly likely fall into the scrolls and damask category. I'd love to come up with affordable intricate cutters.

Sugarjones, the company who will be doing these cutters for me actually speciallizes on those! I never thought there are many people would spend extra on a repeating cutter.

Rylan Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #10 of 15

Goodiegoddess, thanks. That would also be a great idea. Will be adding that to my list. I'm thinking a fleur de lis would be great--or maybe those monogram type patterns.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:53am
post #11 of 15

I agree with goodiegoddess, I would like to be able to find a larger selection of mini cutters and also would like to find tiny cutters for accent pieces on numbers, bows, etc. I really like the idea of a cutter with ten or so circles to be cut at the same time. Can you imagine the time that would save? BTW Rylan, your cakes are breathtaking. Good luck with getting your business started.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:54am
post #12 of 15

How about, for repeating patterns, you sell a roller with the cutter pattern in the roll, so you can just roll it over your fondant/GP and get unlimited shapes cut? You'd need very stiff GP of course!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 15

Rylan - that sounds very exciting! Keep us updated!!

Rylan Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions.

Mamawrobin, will do. Im actually working on some of the designs right now. Thank you for the kind words as well.

Evoir, hmmm that sounds like a nice idea! I never thought of that. I should talk about that to the company who will be doing these.

Cylstrial, will do!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:15am
post #15 of 15

My brother bought me a ton of Lindy Smith cutters for Christmas. I think they are really neat. But, out of my price range.

I would love love love to see some Indian or Morrocan feeling shapes or swirls. If you google morrocan patterns, you'll see some very repetitive and geometric patterns. Looking up these patterns may give you inspiration as to what would look unique on a cake.

You could have an embosser/cutter with the roller idea. Or, sell it as a cutter. For example, if you look down into a circle cutter, you'd see an inlay of a particular intricate design. So, you could either press lightly for embossing or cut all the way for the pieces. That way, if you cut several colors, you could create a multicolor look. Sort of an Indian or Morrocan mosaic tile?

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%