Choco-Pan Review

Decorating By misterc Updated 12 Jan 2019 , 7:49pm by nanavymom

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:54am
post #1 of 11

Okay- is it just me. I have really wanted to try Choco Pan but never wanted to shell out the money for it. I finally did and I hate it. I don't like the taste and I thought it was horrible to work with. Am I doing something wrong or is it the product? I think I will stick with my homemade or Pettinice.

10 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:32am
post #2 of 11

I've never used it. All it took for me was seeing Collette Peters having trouble with it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 11

I like it. I like the taste too. It is on the soft side, but i think thats what i like about it.

misterc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 11

I'm glad to know a famous cake designer has had trouble with it too.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 11

And you think Pettinice tastes good? lol . I think ChocoPan is the best tasting by far (I just bought the bright white), but have yet to cover a cake with it. I am planning on testing 1/2 CP & 1/2 Fondx. Have you tried using 1/2 CP & 1/2 of the fondant you like? You never know, you may find a perfect marriage.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 11

I hated working with choc pan too! I thought it was a waste of money...tasted good, but was incredibly hard to work with...kept sticking to my mat...it was a nightmare. I am now using Fondx and love it!

misterc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 11

I like FondX too. None of them taste fabulous but I just don't like the taste or how it handles. Mixing half and half might work but seems kind of silly to spend so much on ChocoPan to have to mix it with other fondant.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 11

I also had a terrible time working with Chocopan. Tasted great thought. I won't use it again.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:25am
post #9 of 11

Ok, this forum is from early last year, but I concur! I just tried using the rest of my choco pan a few moments ago and had the same problems as with the first cake I used it on. This fondant is way too soft, sticks to my mat, and tears, tears, tears! I've tried adding it other fondant, adding tylose to it, and adding PS or cornstarch. It still just droops and loops. Sucks!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 11

I like it in the cold winter months, not so much in the summer. I only use it for covering cakes. I use satin ice for any decorations.

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 12 Jan 2019 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 11

I know this forum is really old, but I have to have my say about Choco-pan. It has a wonderful flavor (none of that icky marshmallow flavor). I've had brides who changed their mind about having a fondant covered cake after tasting this!

Yes, it tends to be troublesome (soft). So I have tips, if you want to give it another go. 

Mix it with Dream Fondant. It's also from the same manufacturer and has the delicious white chocolate taste, but is a more user friendly. 

Use the wrap method with this fondant. and roll it onto a silicone mat - like the big Ateco one. Be sure to dust the mat with cornstarch or powdered sugar first. Let it "dry" a little before wrapping onto a roller.

Here's a link for the upside down wrap method:

https://sweetnessandbite.com/how-to-wrap-a-cake-with-fondant/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%