I Got Into The Farmers Market... Now What??

Business By motherofgrace Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 3:29am by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 31

hey all!

So I got approved to sell in my local farmers market!!!

I just need some suggestions on set up and displays!

I will be taking a trip to Toronto in march, so if you knwo of any places there (cheap places lol SAHM here)that would have some good stuff let me know please!

Also, all those cute tags you guys put on your cookies, how do you make them? are they cost efficient?

THANKS!

PS.. I will be selling, decorated cookies, Cake truffles, chocolate covered cherries, toffee, and chocolate covered toffee

30 replies
mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 31

Sorry I have no advice but good luck! I would love to sell at our local farmer's market someday.. I think you'll do really well icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 31

thank you icon_smile.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 31

So, how do you get approved to sell at your local farmers market? You still have to have your home inspected because you will be baking there, right?

motherofgrace Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 31

No, I talked to the health inspector, and had a sample meeting. And they liked what I had to offer.

I knwo all the legalities, just wondering about display ideas icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 31

anyone else have any ideas?

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 31

Congrats! I was wondering if anyone did Farmer's Markets. Where I live it is a simple inspection with the department of agriculture. I am still trying to figure out if it is worth my time and money and would the kids cooperate hanging out at a farmer's Market from 7-1 one day a week. I don't know what tags you are talking about but I have seen some food tags at craft stores that are super cute. Good Luck! When does your Farmer's Market start?

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 31

Two places for supplies in Toronto:
McCall's, which requires a $25 yearly membership at their warehouse, unless you have a business license. There is also a store, no membership required, but prices are higher.
http://www.mccalls.ca/aboutus.asp

Golda's,
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/index.ihtml
It's about ten minutes from the warehouse to Golda's.
Congrats & good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 31

Congratulations Sweetheart - thumbs_up.gif

I have found some pretty plus chic labels at a scrapebooking place near me.
Different shaped hard cardboard - different colours - with different trimmed edges (straight & crimped)

Do you have something like that near you?
If not - perhaps you could Google.

Wishing you every success icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 31

Whenever I want a cheap custom tag, I buy the printable labels (Avery brand) and print some myself with my color printer. Usually I just use clipart from Microsoft Word if I want a picture.

motherofgrace Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 31

thanks guys!!

you knwo the cardstock ones people use when they package cookies, its like stapled to the cello? Soemtimes names on it, or pictures? wish i could find my example lol

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 31

I bought a packet of print-it-yourself place cards, like you'd use for a wedding. They came in perforated sheets that go through your regular printer and they already have the fold scored into them. Or you can just put a sticker or stamp on each one.
And they were the exact size for going over the top of my cellophane cookie bags
So check out your local stationery store or department store and see if they have them.

motherofgrace Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 31

thats perfect! thats sugarandslice!

sugarandslice Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 31

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 31

Yay for you!! icon_biggrin.gif

motherofgrace Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:01am
post #16 of 31

sugarandslice. were they AVERY brand??

sugarandslice Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:05am
post #17 of 31

They were Geographics (might just be Australian) but I think Avery do them too.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 31

I do the farmers market here in Indiana, I have orders delivered at the farmers market, which fills the farmers market bill rule here in Indiana, my kitchen doesnt have to be inspected, as long as I follow the labeling rule. My home thought does have a commercial range, convection oven, commercial Stainless Steel hood system, a walk in cooler. I take some stock cakes, cupcakes, cookies and such to the farmers market to sell daily, except when there not open on sundays or mondays, I pay a wage to a worker of mine to man the booth during the week, then I man it saturdays usually.

motherofgrace Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #19 of 31

I was thinking the same thing about orders!!!! See loop holes icon_smile.gif

But we are only open on saturdays.

So I hope that will work

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 11:16pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

hey all!

So I got approved to sell in my local farmers market!!!

I just need some suggestions on set up and displays!

I will be taking a trip to Toronto in march, so if you knwo of any places there (cheap places lol SAHM here)that would have some good stuff let me know please!

Also, all those cute tags you guys put on your cookies, how do you make them? are they cost efficient?

THANKS!

PS.. I will be selling, decorated cookies, Cake truffles, chocolate covered cherries, toffee, and chocolate covered toffee

I've read about lots of people using scrapbook paper to make some pretty cool looking tags. I believe that KHalstad was the first one I saw explain how she did it. Very cute!

motherofgrace Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #21 of 31

oh do you think she would explain it to me??

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #22 of 31

I took my business card, which has a cute logo, scanned it and then printed it out on the avery address labels. They look nice and have my phone and web address on them.
One other thought, if it gets hot where you are in the summer, keep that in mind with anything chocolate.
good luck

motherofgrace Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #23 of 31

yes thanks!

I am actuall going to put ice packs under them just in case icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 31

I love Jen Whitlock's market setup (she's a CC member)
http://poshpastries.blogspot.com/ This is her blog - you'll have to scroll back 5 or 6 pages to get to her market pics from last summer.

Definitely check out Vistaprint if you haven't already. You can get a nice banner for free, and I also use business cards cut in half for tags. Look on there and think outside the box on how you can use their items. It's like Christmas when a parcel from Vistaprint arrives at my house!

Edited to add: for Vistaprint, get on the mailing list so they send you all the special offers. Definitely worth it.

motherofgrace Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #25 of 31

is it just free? or free with purchase lol

Thanks for the info!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

is it just free? or free with purchase lol

Thanks for the info!

No, you really can get a bunch of different stuff for free, but only smaller quantities, so you can get one banner, one pen, 50 brochures or postcards etc, but then you pay for shipping. Shipping is usually free if you spend over $35, which is easy to do by upping your numbers, more business cards, printing on the back of them, that kind of thing. Like I said, get yourself on the mailing list and they'll send you special offers every week or so. Look out for free photo uploads if you're planning on making a brochure or postcards, because the cost of uploading each image can add up.

motherofgrace Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #27 of 31

I checked it out, and I found the buisness cards, but couldnt find the banner, could you please send me the link, after you have clicked "banner" please? thanks so much!

Also do they make catalogues? Like if I put all my products in them, so people could order from it?

Thanks Tubbs!!

motherofgrace Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #28 of 31

I FOUND IT TUBBS!!! Thank you, I could kiss you lol! Now it doesnt say how big it is... and how di I find out my total shipping? (got the cards and the banner)

motherofgrace Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #29 of 31

NEVER MIND! I found it again lol

$11.61 for both!!! I LOVE YOU TUBBS!!!!!!!

sugarandslice Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #30 of 31

Sweetheart, you're going to end up loving Vistaprint as well - it really is quite addictive!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%