Carving A Cake

Decorating By chefdot Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm by chefdot

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 9

Is it easier to carve a cake if I bake it and once cooled, refrigerate it till I am ready to carve the next day or two? I would think it bein cold would help.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 9
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 9

I personally like to carve frozen. I feel like I have more control.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

Maybe my freezer is too cold but I think its too hard to cut a frozen cake...I just do chilled.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 9

I carve frozen,it works best I find,and you have ample time to finish before it's thawed.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #6 of 9

Very chilled or frozen - you can really "get into it" and not worry about anything falling apart.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #7 of 9

Frozen or semi frozen is best less crumbs and alot easier to cut and get it right.

chefdot Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks JanH, that's alot to read... lol! Guess I will be busy today. icon_smile.gif

I forgot to put them in the freezer before work so I will when I get home tonight. How long will it take for them to thaw? I only ask cuz I was planning on carving them tomorrow morning then decorate them and then deliver them at a party by 1pm. I am not filling the cakes so that I don't have to worry about. Would that give enough time for them to thaw even with keeping them in the fridge to set up frosted before I leave?

chefdot Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9

I think after reading the first few pages of that topic on carved cakes... since I don't have that much time or alot of carving to do (just doing crayon shapes) then I will put them in the fridge overnight. But now that I've read that I feel better about trying a carved cake. Thanks again everyone! I love this place! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%