Oh No You Didn't...

Decorating By _Jamie_ Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm by JenniferMI

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:13am
post #31 of 63

I have another wedding in May, and the bride sent a couple of beautiful pics that she wanted me to base her cake on, and then came "I'll meet you in March when I come back home and give you my topper..." OH NO! I dread to even see what is in store...

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:25am
post #32 of 63

Those kinds of cake toppers are grotesque.

They humiliate, in every way, shape and form, both the bride and the groom. Why is it always assumed that the main goal of all women is to get married? This is 2010, haven't we come further than this? And seriously, what kind of person would want a cake topper where it's so bleeding obvious that one of the two main characters in the wedding is absolutely desperate to escape?

That said, I do sell these babies in my shop. I sell many, and make a good, hefty profit. So, yeah, you can call me hypocritical. But..... every time someone buys one of these I just cringe.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:47am
post #33 of 63

I have used that for a wedding shower. I didn't find it offensive. I really didn't care. They liked it.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:47am
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

icon_redface.gif but what about the one I like Mensch????? you no likey icon_cry.gif

icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

icon_redface.gif but what about the one I like Mensch????? you no likey icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif I no likey either.

icon_wink.gif

motherofgrace Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #36 of 63

LaBellaFlor icon_surprised.gif

How could you icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

well HE would like the bum grab!! icon_lol.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:21am
post #37 of 63

nooooo... icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gif ....labellaflor...dont give up your arse grabbing dreams...NOOOOOO.... icon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif .....

motherofgrace Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:31am
post #38 of 63

LMAO

Image You Funny Image

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:34am
post #39 of 63

I think that is a funny topper, but I would not put something like that on top of my cake....just goes to show that there are all kinds of people out there, it's what makes us different. icon_biggrin.gif

BridgetBrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BridgetBrina Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:46am
post #40 of 63

I would give the couples with funny toppers a real good chance of making it to their 50th Anniversary, they have a sense of humor, and they will no doubt need it icon_wink.gif I love the butt holding one too funny hahahahahaha

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:23am
post #41 of 63

at least these toppers make sense - im still shaking my head over one of our accountants having custom make bride and groom chickens on their wedding cake. considering the are super-urber yuppies who dont even know where eggs come from it was very confusing and people were asking me what the signficance was and im clueless

one topper i dont like is the bride wearing the pants topper, http://www.weddingaccessories.net/-strse-3067/groom-minus-pants-figurine/Detail.bok . its ok for this to be the way it is but its best not to advertise it... the longer the husbands are in the dark about this the better icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 8:25am
post #42 of 63

I did this cake a couple of years ago:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_592973.html
Hours of painstaking piping and pearl painting. Get it to the reception and the florist was meant to have left me peonies to put on top of the cake - there were none there. Bride & Groom arrive, loved the cake. Along comes MOB (American), with that hideous topper and puts it on top of the cake. The bride was as horrified as I was at how it looked and took it off saying she'd rather leave the cake as it was and the put the topper by the side of the cake. I took heart that she had taste and left shortly afterwards. She sends me the 'official' pics later, and lo and behold that thing had sneaked its way back on to the top - horrible! I sent her my pics of the bare cake, for which she was very grateful icon_wink.gif!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:28am
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

at least these toppers make sense - im still shaking my head over one of our accountants having custom make bride and groom chickens on their wedding cake. considering the are super-urber yuppies who dont even know where eggs come from it was very confusing and people were asking me what the signficance was and im clueless

one topper i dont like is the bride wearing the pants topper, http://www.weddingaccessories.net/-strse-3067/groom-minus-pants-figurine/Detail.bok . its ok for this to be the way it is but its best not to advertise it... the longer the husbands are in the dark about this the better icon_smile.gif

It is probably a personal joke to them. I know my husband's pet name for me has always been "Chicken". I have no idea why he started calling me that, but it is always said with deep affection and now he uses it for my daughter too.

As for the toppers, I too hate the insinuation that one of the couple had to be dragged into marriage and doesn't really want to be there. Of all the toppers, the only one that I like that was on that page of them was the one of the bride pinching the groom's butt. It's cheeky without putting anyone down.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:35am
post #44 of 63

Yes, everyone is different and likes something different. The only one on the page I liked is the one where the groom is kneeling down to help the bride up.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:59pm
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

okay, I guess i go against the norm here.. icon_razz.gif I think they are funny. maybe not appropriate for all couples or all cakes, but I know a couple that have been together for 17 years... not married yet and he said that if he ever gets her to the alter that he wants the topper that has the bride running away and groom is standing on her train.

you can see it on here http://www.weddingaccessories.net/-strse-Wedding-Cake-Toppers-cln-Funny-Cake-Toppers/Categories.bok

my only complaint is they need more where the bride is the escapee. icon_lol.gif

but i love and live for laughter.

I am with Tesso. I think they are funny as hell. Now agreed i wouldn't want to put them on just any cake, but I still think they are funny.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:20pm
post #46 of 63

Add me to the "I like 'em!" club! Being married to a stand up comedian, we tend to look at life a bit different that most folks. I also agree that those who start their lives together with a sense of humor have a better chance of making it to their 50th anniversary.

I feel sorry for the "hoity-toity" crowd who can't love AND laugh at the same time! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Couples who have had these types of toppers have been the most fun and the best to work with, in my experience! thumbs_up.gif

"Don't take life so serious .... you'll never get out of it alive." .... Said by everyone from card makers to Bugs Bunny!

There are a number of threads in which CC'er whine about other CC'ers being judgemental, yet here we go, condemning and ridiculing the couples who are having a great time as they begin their lives with a serious commitment to each other. I, personally, applaud them, applaud their taste, applaud their outlook on life. thumbs_up.gif

Just because it's not your taste, doesn't make it wrong. Or bad. Just different.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:40pm
post #47 of 63

Well said Indydebi. I know in front of my wedding cake there sat the cutest little skeleton bride and groom. We had saw them at a store one time and just got a big kick out of it and decided that would be us in 60 years so we had to put it up at the wedding. And we still have them with out what nots so we can see them everyday..

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Yes, everyone is different and likes something different. The only one on the page I liked is the one where the groom is kneeling down to help the bride up.

I did like that one and I though that was sweet. But no guys, the butty grabbing, um, NO!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #49 of 63

I would take the butt grabbing over the one where she has her legs wrapped around his hips in a big embrace.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:59pm
post #50 of 63

Oh man. I thought this was our safe place where we could snicker and laugh at a stupid topper without getting a lecture. icon_sad.gif Eh, I'll say it again. Oh no you didn't! icon_biggrin.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #51 of 63

My niece's husband insisted on that topper. I told him it could go on the grooms cake, but was not appropriate for the wedding cake.

So he got it on his grooms cake.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I would take the butt grabbing over the one where she has her legs wrapped around his hips in a big embrace.

Yeah, the groom is basically a human stripper pole with that topper! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #53 of 63

I totally agre with indydebi I think they r funny!!! life is to short not to laugh!! I made my sons wedding cake and his wife picked a beautiful topper for the main cake and he picked the groom runing away. As a joke I made him a grooms cake with that topper, he and his wife loved it, and in no way does that topper mean he really wants to run away it was just something for everyone to laugh about and have a great time. (which we did) Just remember everyone is different, doesnt mean u have to have a tasty cake wedding to love laughter!!! icon_smile.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

But to me, I'd rather have this one than a Precious Moments! icon_smile.gif

LOL! I *hate* precious moments, but our topper was a precious moments of a little boy and girl leaning over to kiss. It's my MIL's, and I love it, even though I hate precious moments. And yes, 10 years later, I still love it, and hope I can have it one day. Even thought I would never let another precious moment thing in my house.

katev17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katev17 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #55 of 63

I had this exact thing happen last summer! Same topper - and I totally agree. Definitely have to make sure you get your before and after photo!!!

My very next cake after that.. the bride had explicitly expressed on many occassions that it had to be "simple" and "elegant". She wanted it to be quite plain, and just white with black piping, and some white roses on top. That was fine, I was all geared up to be finished the cake... when the maid of honour shows up to the bakery with toppers that she had custom made (you know the cartoon-y ones that are made to look like the couple?) and wanted us to put them on the cake as a surprise!!!

Ridiculous. In the end we just brought the toppers along and 'placed' them on top, so that when the bride saw, if she freaked she could easily take them off with no problems. Turned out she loved it, but we were sweating until we heard that it was all ok.

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:23pm
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

But to me, I'd rather have this one than a Precious Moments! icon_smile.gif

LOL! I *hate* precious moments, but our topper was a precious moments of a little boy and girl leaning over to kiss. It's my MIL's, and I love it, even though I hate precious moments. And yes, 10 years later, I still love it, and hope I can have it one day. Even thought I would never let another precious moment thing in my house.

That is sweet and sentimental so you get a "pass" for that one! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #57 of 63

I'm don't like them, and I'm not hoity toity, and I got a great sense of humor! icon_razz.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #58 of 63

Actually, I am quite allergic to anything Precious Moments.

I have a great sense of humor, so I really don't believe that just because I dislike those toppers I'm a horrid, stiff person who can't laugh at anything. That's actually insulting!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #59 of 63

I did a wedding cake last summer and they handed me this plastic topper (similar like the one you posted) but it had the bride dragging the groom. cheesy!

OH, don't forget about my funky bride for July.. she is having custom bobble heads made for their cake topper. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:34am
post #60 of 63

[quote="tarheelgirl"]I did a wedding cake last summer and they handed me this plastic topper (similar like the one you posted) but it had the bride dragging the groom. cheesy!

I saw a cake (I think on here) that someone used the exact same topper as a divorce cake! She was dragging him towards an open grave. LOVED IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%