Can I Salvage My Gumpaste Figure?

Decorating By patticake1956 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm by patticake1956

patticake1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1956 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 12

I made a gumpaste/fondant Gumby for a cake I'm making and I totally forgot to put spaghetti in the arms to attach them to the body. I did use "gumpaste glue" to attach the arms to the body but, now that he is dry, they have fallen off icon_eek.gif Maybe, I should have tried to model him out of one piece but, this is my first try at modeling figures and I didn't think I could do it that way. Anyway, is there a way to fix this or do I have to do him completely over icon_cry.gif Need suggestions to fix and/or for any future modeling hints.
Thanks, Patti

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 12

Not sure if this will work, but it is worth a try before making another one. Heat a small wire up to stick into the gumpaste - one end in the arm, the other in the body (don't burn yourself!) The hot wire might be able to go in the dried gumpaste. Make sure you tell the folks getting the cake that there are wires in him if it works.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 12

great idea about the hot wires Loucinda.
And if the seems on the shoulder look a bit rough maybe you could put a shirt on him that matches your theme.

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 12

This might sound gross, but if it's not edible, could you superglue them on?

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 12

use a little royal icing, dab on the parts you want to stick on, hold on with sponge pads or whatever support you have until dry,

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 12

Nicholas Lodge uses Super Glue to repair broken petals on flowers in his class that I took at Cake Camp last fall. Now I have a small bottle in the drawer with my other flower tools just in case! I did find some with a brush applicator so makes it really easy to apply.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 12

I wouldn't use super glue on a figure since you don't know if a kid is going to pick it up and trying eating it. I can see on flowers that are wired and such.

Try royal icing. It will glue dry pieces together. I like the shirt idea too if you need to cover spots.

patticake1956 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 12

Hmmm. I like the hot wire idea and the royal icing. this is actually for a competition so, I would like to use an edible medium. I will try the royal icing and see if it works. I actually thought of super glue too since it won't be eaten but, I don't think I can use that in competition without mentioning it and then it would be points off I'm sure. So, do you think I could heat up the wire to make a hole in the gumpaste body and arm for a piece spaghetti to go into to attach them? Would that work? Do you guys think I should have made him from one piece?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 12

Now there is a good idea, heat the wire to make the hole, but then dab the end of the spagetti with the royal before sticking it into each part of the piece. I bet that will work, and it will be edible too.

patticake1956 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, I'm going to try that. I hope it works. I would hate to re-make this, since it took quite a while. You guys are the best thumbs_up.gif

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 12

just had another thought, which you probably already have done, but dont forget if you use royal icing, to colour it the same colour as whatever you are sticking, so it wont show....good luck with the comp!

patticake1956 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the reminder, I did think of that and will remeber. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%