Need Help Asap!

Decorating By mommix3 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 6:46am by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

mommix3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommix3 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:25am
post #1 of 3

I was asked the other day to help a friend of mine make a 40th anniversary cake for her inlaws. The party is on the 30th so there's not much time. She's not expecting anything extravagant or perfect for that matter. I'm the one who is striving for perfection. icon_smile.gif

She wants a tier cake or stacked cake with only two layers. there will only be 11 people at the small get together so nothing big. What size pans would be best for this? I have an 8,6,and 4 inch pan.

Also we would like to have it displayed on something that won't cost a fortune. I need some ideas for something inexpensive but doesn't look too cheezy. something that we could even look for in a second hand store.

AND we are thinking of using fresh flowers on the cake. Is there anything in particular that I need to know before I place them on a cake. Any precautions I should take? I don't want anyone to get sick.. I've seen lots of fresh flower toppers in the gallery so I know it's possible. We are thinking of carnations or possibly roses and using the petals as decoration as well.

it's been almost a year since I made a cake and that was the only tiered one I had ever made. It turned out great. But it was for a 5 year old. This is a little differant.. I want to make it special. I have NO idea how to make flowers or work with gumpaste and there's no time to learn right now. But I will most definately be learning sometime in the near future. Thanks so much for your replies. I LOVE this site.

Angela

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:39am
post #2 of 3

Angela,

A 6" alone is enough for 12 people. If she is insistent on having a multi-tiered cake, then do the 4" on the 6". Unless they don't mind having a lot of leftover cake. An 8" cake serves 24!

Since the base needed is so small, try checking in thrift stores and consignment shops for old fashioned cake plates. I found a beautiful lead crystal one in an antique store for only $17 one time, so you never know what you might find!

Or, you could use a gold or silver cake drum and hot glue pretty rhinestone ribbon around the edge. That will actually look really pretty.

Don't forget that the top tier must sit on a cake board and that it must be supported with dowels inside the bottom tier.

For fresh flowers, make sure you do not use poisonous flowers. Any reputable florist should be able to help with that. Or, just stick with edible flowers. Here's a link to the Wikipedia page that lists edible flowers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_flowers. The flowers should be grown organically and well-washed. Do NOT stick the stemps directly in the cake.

HTH!

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:46am
post #3 of 3

a 6" round ( stacked 2 layers each @ 2" deep each ) should feed about 12 people- these are not giant servings this is a "wedding " serving...
to feed 11 people?
I would do a 4" round on top (2 layers ..) and a 6 inch round on the bottom tier (2 layers...also ) so all total it would be about 8 inches high give or take after you ice it and settling occurs.
OR do a "6 on top and an 8" on the bottom with one layer each teir... but it will look a little flat in my opinion... plus, where will you put a filling? just underneath the smaller top tier?
as far a displaying it goes, you can made cake "stands" or cake plates , by using a vintage or interesting play stacked on a sturdy shallow bowl that is smaller in diamerter than the plate matches or compliments it enough to look cohesive,,
as far as flowers go, not sure about that one because they will not look fresh for long and not sure about how to put them on while avoiding peircing the cake with thier stems.. sorry , wish I could help more.
a website I like is www dot instructables dot com.. for idea on how to display a cake on the cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%