Air Pockets In Cake Batter ;(

Baking By bmarlow001 Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 4:48am by bmarlow001

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #1 of 5

I just made a chocolate cake I found on CC, there were lots of really good reviews and the batter tastes wonderful BUT there are a TON of air pockets in the batter.. is there a way to fix this? I tried to drop it on my floor a few times but there are so many it's looking like it's impossible to get rid of them... any help?

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 5

You dropped a pan full of batter on the floor? icon_surprised.gif And it *didn't* make a mess? icon_eek.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 5

On the floor? icon_confused.gif Are you talking a HUGE cake pan??

I bang my batter-filled pans on the counter top (on a folded towel) several (sometimes 20-30) times until the air bubbles rise and burst.

I've never heard of dropping a pan of batter on the floor, and I'm wondering too, why it didn't fly all over the place...is it a particularly thick batter? I use an enhanced recipe and the batter is thicker than a boxed mix, but not so thick that it wouldn't leave the pan! icon_wink.gif

Let your batter sit a few minutes, maybe most of the air bubbles will come to the surface and you can prick them with a toothpick. Just a thought, but are you certain you didn't omit some of the liquid in your recipe?

I'm sure some of the master bakers here will offer you more help!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

Ah ha I am glad I am not the only one who abuses my cake batter. I give a few light slams on the counter to bring up all of the big air bubbles and they pop on their own. You need air in your batter because that is what helps it bake up tall and light and fluffy so don't try to go after every little bubble, just the big ones.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 5

LOL! I don't stand up and drop the pan icon_lol.gif I just kind of hold it about 2 inches from the floor or the counter top and drop it... it works icon_biggrin.gif The cake ended up coming out very nicely even with all of those air pockets. icon_biggrin.gif Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%