Homemade Pan Release?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 1:34am by G_Cakes

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

When using your own homemade pan release (got recipe off of the site), can you let your cake cool in the pan? I thought that I read somewhere that you don't want to let it cool in the pan longer than 5 mins. Is it best to flip your cake onto a cooling rack after the 5 mins. to let it cool completely? I'm trying to avoid the gooey top that I get when I flip out immediately and then wrap in plastic wrap. TIA for any suggestions.

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 16

Mine sometimes sit in their pans for hours. Meh.

sheilabelle Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 16

Leah - Do you then freeze your cakes? What is your process for defrosting? I rely so heavily on the wonderful advice from CC'ers!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 16

I flip mine out within 5-10 minutes or they do get sticky. I think it depends on how dense the cake is too though. When I worked at a catering place they always cooled theirs on racks and then slid a knife around the outside and popped the cakes out (sometimes lined the bottoms with parchment though which really helped) but at home I just pop them out nearly right away. I use homemade cake release (love it!!!!).

The only time the tops of my cakes get gooey when they are wrapped is if the top did not get browned enough (I don't mean BROWN but you know, just nice and golden.) Oh I do have a pumpkin recipe that gets gooey too...but I don't mind, its moist and people like it.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 16

I use the homemade pan release. Sometimes they sit in the pan 5 minutes, sometimes 15 min (or more) if I'm busy.
I wrap in saran after they are 50% cool, and freeze. When I take them out, I unwrap them almost immediately, and almost NO cake comes off on the wrap. The cakes are also much easier to handle frozen. Then I fill & decorate them!
But, I typically use whipped cream icing...so, keep in mind, if you use buttercream, (I've read) that you may end up with bubbles or bulging if you ice a frozen cake.

Doesn't matter to me - the colder the better when it comes to the whipped cream! icon_wink.gif

HTH!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 16

I've always turned my cakes out after 10 minutes. They cool better that way.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 16

I like to wait no more than 5-10 minutes before turning my cakes out. I, too, use homemade pan release and love it. If I get sidetracked, which happens more often than I'll admit, I simply run a knife around the edge then place the pan over the open flame of my gas stove for a just a second or two to reheat the bottom. You can also do the same with an electric element, just keep it in motion. It should release cleanly when flipped. (Forgot to mention, I use pan release on bottom and sides, then a cut out of waxed paper and pan release on top of that. I have never had a cake stick and the top doesn't get gooey.)

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 16

where's the pan release recipe at ?

djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 16

It's equal parts shortening, veg oil and flour. (like 1 cup of each) Put in blender or food processor. Will keep in airtight container for a long time at room temp. icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 16

I used to use homemade, then I was told by a friend that she uses Bakers Joy, uh...much better success AND I don't have to run a knife around like I used to. But when I did use the cake release, I too turned my cake out after about 10 minutes, then let it cool for about 30 more before I wrapped and froze/refrigerated mine.

leah_s Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 16

I bake, cool however long, typically run a spatula (not a knife) around the edge and pop the cake out of the pan. I always put waxed paper in the bottom. Peel off the waxed paper, torte and level with the Agbay, wrap in plastic and freeze.

Take cakes out of the freezer, fill, rewrap in plastic (the same plastic), put a ceramic tile on top and let sit for anywhere from 3 hours to overnight.

Decorate.

djs328 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:21am
post #12 of 16

leah - I always love seeing your words of wisdom - I learn something every time I read one of your posts!! icon_smile.gif So...question: why the tile on top?

sheilabelle Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #13 of 16

Once again, THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ARE AMAZING!!!! Thank you everyone for your ideas. I learn something new everyday from this site.

Thanks,
Sheila

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #14 of 16

The tile on top promotes/speeds up settling. Eliminates the (possible) bulge.

djs328 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #15 of 16

Gotcha! Thanks, Leah!!! icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbrats

where's the pan release recipe at ?

1 cup All Purpose Flour

1 cup Oil

1 cup Shortening

Mix well and store in air tight container ( I keep mine in fridge)

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%