Can You Help Me Price This Cake Project?

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 5:23am by prterrell

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 10

Let me just start off with I do have prices for buttercream and fondant cakes.

However, I have a request for a tiara on top of a pillow cake. I have never done either of these things so I am unsure of how to price this particular cake. I have searched through threads, so I have an idea of the amount of work that is involved.

Just don't want to underprice and kick myself later icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

9 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 10

Since it's a pillow cake, which requires carving, I consider it to have a 3D carved cake price. Now the crown, thats gonna be pricey. And Cathy I think we've seen you on here enough to know your serious about your caking. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 10

I would charge $25. - $30. for the crown alone, and as LBF says, that pillow cake is going to be a 3-D carved cake - charge more than your regular fees for it. (most charge double for a carved cake it seems)

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 10

Do you charge a per slice charge? If so, I'd suggest making cake squares a size larger to account for needing to cut the cake down to the shape but charge the per slice for that cake as if you were just doing a regular square.

HTH

Paul

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:07am
post #5 of 10

$999. I price less than Charm City in order to remain competative. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 10

It sounds like you know about how much it will cost, but is it just the time you aren't sure of? Since a pillow is a simpler shape, I would probably double my per serving price, or maybe just a little more, and then charge separately for the tiara. If you have an idea of how long it should take, then charge for that per hour? Maybe others will help more.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

$999. I price less than Charm City in order to remain competative. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

Wow, really $999 for that? I want to work for you. icon_biggrin.gif I'm sorry I was thinking maybe doubling your average cake price because it's carved and $35-45 for tiara made from royal icing. But that's probably what I would do but I don't know just a suggestion.

prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:51am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Wow, really $999 for that? I want to work for you. icon_biggrin.gif I'm sorry I was thinking maybe doubling your average cake price because it's carved and $35-45 for tiara made from royal icing. But that's probably what I would do but I don't know just a suggestion.

No. That's a joke. The Charm City (Ace of Cakes) minimum price is $1,000.

meowmix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meowmix Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #9 of 10

I am very confused about how to price cakes myself.

Does flavor matter?
Ingredients? Do I price flour by the pound or by how many cakes i can get out of it.

What about fillings? Fondant? Icings etc?

I price it based on the average price at other places I have seen and go lower but am i low balling myself?

prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix

I am very confused about how to price cakes myself.

Does flavor matter?
Ingredients? Do I price flour by the pound or by how many cakes i can get out of it.

What about fillings? Fondant? Icings etc?

I price it based on the average price at other places I have seen and go lower but am i low balling myself?

See my 1st post above. It explains everything you need to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%