Cake Decorating Pen

Decorating By cownsj Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:35pm by cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone ever used the Cake Decorating Pen? If so, would you recommend it? Did you like it? Do you use it often enough? I see it every now and then and think it seems like a great idea. But all too often those great ideas end up as something in the bottom of the box and never used. Any input would be appreciated.

11 replies
cownsj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 12

In case anyone wants to see what I mean, here is a link for it: http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD7122

Anyone have any input?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 12

I saw that but to be honest with you I wouldn't use it. I would much rather use my bag with icing more control I would think. Just my opinion though.

cownsj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 12

That was my initial reaction too, but then wondered if you really could write with it like you do a pen, would it be worth it? I think that's why I'm asking, to see if anyone has tried it and likes it. I see it everytime they put it on sale and wonder the same thing, but not enough to just try it out first. lol

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 12

I would probably buy it just to try! But I'm a sucker for something that looks like a good idea! I have a whole drawer/ cupboard / garage of "that looks cool". Its cheap enough.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 12

I purchased a 4 pack of Wilton food writing pens and didn't like them at all. BUT, I really like the idea and the many ways I could use them. When I was at my local cake decorating store yesterday I found a two pack from a different manufacture that I'm thinking of trying. Maybe its the old "you get what you pay for" type of thing. The more money you spend on the pens the better they work

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 12

I use the foodoodlers pens on sugar cookies all the time and they are awesome!! But I didn't like them for writing on gumpaste, they kind of sunk in to it. But it wasn't completely dry yet. The Wilton's are not great because of the brush tip.

meem21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meem21 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 12

I have the Americolor gourmet writer pens. They are pretty good... they kind of remind me of markers that kids would use, so they aren't fine tip. I used them to "sketch" a comic book character on gumpaste with good results. I wouldn't use them for any really fine lines or decoration but I was satisfied with the results I got. I'm attaching a picture of my "sketch". I used the pens on everything except the grain of the bowling lane.
LL

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #9 of 12

WOW Meem21 your cake looks great. My Wilton pen wouldn't even come anywhere close to what your Americolor gourmet writer pens did.

meem21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meem21 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 12

Oh, good to know I picked the right brand then icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #11 of 12

only thing is with that, for writing you need to let your fondant dry, otherwise it just digs into it and you get smooshes and smudges

cownsj Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 12

I have the Wilton pens, use them all the time. I love them. But the pen I'm debating trying is one you fill with your own frosting.

No one has one of these yet? I am surprised, I thought for sure lots of people would have tried it already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%