Can I Use Tylose Powder To Make Fondant Like Gum Paste?

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 10:45am by Elise87

Katiwren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiwren Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #1 of 8

I am a first time fondant user and was going to make my boyfriend a fisherman cake for his birthday. I was planning on sculpting a small fisherman for the top of the cake, and I read somewhere that I could use Tylose powder in my fondant to make it more like gum paste. Is this true? If so, how much do I use?

If tylose won't make my fondant sturdy enough for a figure, I can always run to walmart and buy some gum paste, but I'd really like to use what I already bought.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can just add the tylose to your fondant. I can't give you an exact measurement...I usually just sprinkle some on, I don't measure. Maybe about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon for a 2 inch sized ball? Someone else will be able to give you a more accurate measurement, I know! icon_lol.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

I can't give you an exsact measure - I usually just dip the coloured bit of fondant I have into the tylose jar and knead in thoroughly. Its really not much. I agree with SpringFLour.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 8

Yes you can! I am not sure of the exact measurements. I eyeball it.
I read that some people use 1-3 tsp per pound. You could always add a little to start with and add more later.
you'll know by feel if it needs more or not. Good luck!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

I read somewhere it was like 2-3 teaspoons of Tylose powder to 1lb of fondant cose i want to do the same thing..........do you just add it and it starts to feel firmer like gumpaste?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

I do this all the time. Generally I do a fairly small amount of gumpaste - something like a ball about the size of my fist then I mix in about 1/8 of a teaspoon and it works just fine. In fact, I just made some up to make orchids over the weekend and they're doing great - drying nice and firm as they should.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #7 of 8

Elise - its a bit firmer but quite pliable. The biggest thing is how fast it dries (also its trickier to re-knead and re-mold after its been rolled and cut once, in my experience...but I like it quite firm and dry to work with!) . You really need to have a floppy mat on hand! But I find it great to use especially when you need deep colours.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:45am
post #8 of 8

thanks for the advice evoir! Have made some little figurines with it and they truned out pretty good icon_smile.gif and yeh at first it just feels like normal fondant and then after a while firms up pretty fast but still workable icon_smile.gif

Oh and found out if u leave it wrapped up for a while it seems to turn into like a rubber consistency though lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%