Can Someone Comment On My Wedding Cake Timeline?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by Mug-a-Bug

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 4

I'm delivering my very first wedding cake (all buttercream with fresh flowers) this friday. 14/12/10/8/6 yikes! icon_surprised.gif

I'm writing out my timeline and hoping someone more seasoned can comment on it? I'm worried about my buttercream getting too 'crusty' for reasonable stacking. Here's what I'm thinking

Wed: Take all cakes out of freezer to thaw, make all my buttercream. Fill, spackle, and crumbcoat.

Thurs: Ice all cakes, stack and decorate bottom 3 tiers

Fri: Deliver (not till 2pm, wedding not till 4pm), stack and decorate top 2 tiers, and place flowers.

Thoughts???? icon_confused.gif Should I ice my top 2 tiers Friday morning instead of Thursday? I wanted to leave Friday morning available to potential disasters. Should I place the flowers at the venue or at home?? Any help is appreciated. TIA icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 4

What kind of buttercream do you use? SMBC, no problem, not sure about PS buttercream, I don't really use it.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 4

All I can offer on this one is to definitely place the flowers at the venue. Flowers are good at covering up minor boo-boos, which can happen while stacking.
I assume that you're transporting the bottom 3 tiers already assembled? If so, be sure to have extra BC with you in the event that something happens. At my last wedding, a rowdy kid decided that he wanted to "try" the icing and gouged out a piece of fondant with his finger. icon_sad.gif You never know what will happen once you get there and you want to be prepared for anything.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

I will be using sugarshacks bc recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%