Have To Make A Basket Need Some Help!

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm by amyoungbl00d5

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make a basket for a croquet/knitting cake. I bought an impression mat. I have never used one before to I used it after I put the fondant on the cake or before? I also need to make a handle on the basket..how do I make that? Thanks I am new and still learning.[/b]

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 10

What kind of impression mat is it? Is it the small plastic ones or the larger ones?

If it is the smaller ones, put your fondant on your cake then press the matt against it. If it is the larger ones then I would roll the fondant out, lay the matt over it, then press the image into the fondant before you put in on the cake.

For the handle I would use fondant mixed with gum tex/gumpaste or straight gumpaste. Shape your handle and let try before placing it on the cake.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 10

It just came in the mail actually, more like a small cutter. It a rectangle shape and I have a round cake..so do I rock it to get the impression on the cake?

I was going to use gp/f mixture ...How do I attach it to the cake? Do I push it into the cake?

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 10

Do you have a picture of the matt or can you link where you got it.

For the handle, you can attach a couple of tooth picks into it before it dries and use those to stick into the cake. Just let the person getting the cake know that they are there.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

I'd lay the bottom to the board, and start with the left side and press it to the cake then press around until you get the right side pressed in. When you go to start the next part make sure the marks line up and then press from one side to the other.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for your wisdom...I will give that a try!

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 10

Not sure I have all that much wisdom, but glad I could help. That is a very pretty basketweave look. icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #9 of 10

I have a few basket cakes in my gallery. They are not fondant, but if you see anything that would be of help, feel free to use the idea or ask me if you have a question. Good luck with your cake, by the look of your cakes, I'm sure you will have no problem at all and it will be beautiful.
Amy

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%