Mmf Disaster

Decorating By LaJoanna Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 4:36am by Renaejrk

LaJoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaJoanna Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #1 of 10

I have attempted on making mmf 3x's already and have failed 3x's this time it looked good but when I rolled it out and put it on the cake it was all slimy and fell apart. I used cornstarch to dry it up but still doesnt work I had to use Wilton and add some flavor since it tastes nasty. Are any of you gr8 at mmf could you give me detailed advice I have followed all the recipes but still end up with teared greasy sticky fondant with bubbles ../....

9 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #2 of 10

Ths is what I use..and let it sit 2 days before using...at least....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:21am
post #3 of 10

Have a look at Ednas MMF on design me a cake. It never fails and everyone thinks it's really tasty.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 10

It's hard to tell where the issue is, we don't know the exact recipe you are using and the steps you are taking to make it. It is the only fondant I use, and works each time, so there is hope! icon_wink.gif

LaJoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaJoanna Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 10

I used the simple recipe a bag of marshmellows add a bit of water and crisco your mixer with dough hook and add conf sugar . I have even used fluff I just check Ednas recipe will try.. wish me luck thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 10

OK - here is the recipe I use (and the way I do it)

1 - 16 ounce bag marshmellows (fresh, doesn't matter what kind)
1 - 2lb. bag confectioners sugar (cheapest I can find - Aldi's usually)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons water

crisco - enough to keep it from sticking to my hands and countertop. (I don't mix it into the MMF)

Grease a large microwavable bowl - add the mm's, water, and vanilla. Cook at 50% power until melted. Stir until completely smooth. Start adding p/s - till you can't stir anymore. Then dump out on greased countertop, and with greased hands, knead. Knead some more, then knead a little more. When it is silky smooth, coat with crisco, wrap 2X in saran wrap and let set overnight. Sometimes it takes all the 2 lb. of p/s, sometimes only 3/4 of the bag. This has worked for me for 4 years now. NEVER a problem. (I think maybe because I do it by hand instead of using a mixer??)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 10

I think the corn syrup is key to the recipe I use.

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 10

I use the same recipe but I don't use any type of shortening when I make it. Maybe try it without?

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #9 of 10

I find adding a Tbsp or two of corn syrup helps make it much more pliable. I use a recipe almost identical to the one Loucinda posted.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #10 of 10

or try MFF - it's got a few more steps and a few more ingredients, but it is wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%