2010 Bookings

Business By Katiebelle74 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 2:40am by snarkybaker

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #31 of 40

Holy C#@P, I just looked at your prices and you should double them at least! Ten dollars for a dozen cupcakes?!?!?! icon_surprised.gif Where do you live, I want to come to your house and slap you until you raise your prices! (But I would be doing it with your best interests in mind icon_lol.gif )

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #32 of 40

If I charged that little I would actually paying customers to take these cakes off my hands.

Please, everyone, read these threads:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-665609-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-664395-.html

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #33 of 40

Your prices are so low, I could resell them and make money. Now is a good time to raise prices. Everyone else is. Every ingredient I buy has gone up considerably in the past year. Your prices should too. In fact, when the new year comes, so should new prices.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #34 of 40

Hey everyone- thanks for the advice. $2.30/serving for wedding is fairly standard for this area, as is the celebration pricing. I've done my research. I raised the wedding pricing this January from $2.15. So, I am gradually raising every 6 months to get in line with where I want to be. Like most of us not starting with the business end, I've made that mistake of underpricing, seriously, my 8" round used to be $15!!!!!!!
The highest end bakery in our area charges $25 for an 8", which is where I am, and she has a staff of like 5 and her recipes are all European sponge with alcohol syrup and really cool flavor combinations.

There are days I do wish I had someone to slap me silly costumeczar! Isn't that how we all feel some days?!

jenmat Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #35 of 40

Evoir- I have a host through Lunarpages. They are a little too expensive after doing more research, but I had already paid for it through my old designer, so there you go.
The mac has a program called IWeb right on its operating system. I have version 08, so its a little older, but still does the job. You can actually purchase the Webme subscription too, and it will directly upload to their hosting. Its $99.yr. Iweb 09 has a built in FTP which allows you to upload to whatever site you want, vrs using an ftp available on the internet like Cyberduck, which to me was an insane headache.
I can't believer shows are that expensive! I have one in March that's $250! THe most expensive one I did was at Lambeau Field (Green Bay) and was $550 AND I got an end booth!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #36 of 40

I love my mac and Iweb and would never have my website without it but I have found that it is not SEO friendly. I have been talking to some friends of mine who also have their own businesses and websites about purchasing some seo packages that I hope will help make up for it. Have any of the rest of you addressed this yet with your Iweb built sites?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #37 of 40

Jentreu your prices and my prices are very similar. No matter how many times people on here tell me how cheap I am, we have to reflect what people will pay in our areas! I've done my homework too and I'm the most expensive around this area! Crazy I know, but that's the truth!

jenmat Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #38 of 40

YOu're right- I am reading that SEO on Iweb isn't very strong. YOu have to change the metatags and a few other titles to optimize it. Not sure how to do all that. Some day, I will be looking into it, but right now for me its not necessary. Although, with proper SEO, I could probably up my pricing!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #39 of 40

Jen - thank you for the information icon_smile.gif I am hoping my next 'puter is a Mac, atm I am stuck with sucky MS, LOL. And I've been checking out the web-building function via Vista Print. It seems a tad limited but I REALLY need to get something 'out there', yanno?

I loved seeing your cakes, and while the prices seemed low I can understand the need to be competitive in one's area! Its just amazing seeing the variation in pricing across the USA from my standpoint.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #40 of 40

We just redid our website, and it has really increased our traffic. We get about 100 unique visitors a day, and we just relaunched January 11th with a heavy focus on website optimization.

I, too, a a mac-o-phole, and would have loved to do my own site, but decided to pay a company that specializes in bakery websites. However, you can use internet software, Iblog, and use your iweb and it makes your site crawlable for the search engines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%