Best Way To Get Intricate Image On Cake

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm by TexasSugar

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 8

I want to get a very intricate image onto a cake (lot of tiny lines). I thought about an edible image, but not sure if that can be done from paper (not a photograph?)
I dont' really want to have it look like it was added on and have to put icing around the image like you do an edible image (or have where I cut it out show). I want it to look part of the cake. This image is not a candidate for transferring with piping gel (too many fine lines).

Oh, the cake is covered in white MMF.

Can anyone suggest other techniques they've had success with icon_smile.gif ? TIA

7 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

Have it printed on edible paper and glue it to the cake maybe. Hand painting it. FBCT (although you said no gel transfer). That is about the only 2 ways I see to get super detail.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 8

Personally I would say the edible image is the way to go--when you stick it to the fondant, you won't necessarily need a border around it--I just did a couple of small ones without borders and they looked fine...depends on what your image is I guess...

the only other thing I've had success with is a chocolate transfer which is great for fine details--but it won't look like part of the cake like you want it to...

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 8

The edible image should work. It blends very well into the cake if you wet it a little on the back.

crystal1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal1 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

maybe you can try to do a frozen buttercream plaque. i had a friend who had a cake with an intricate design and she did one, it turned out great! her cake was iced in buttercram though, not sure how it will look on mmf. i learned how to do it on this sight.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 8

I've done the FBCT with an intricate design, the FFA Emblem. You can see it in my photos. That may be an option for you as well.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 8

You can make a FBCT to cover the entire top of the cake. That way it will look like it's part of the cake!

TexasSugar - Your FBCT is awesome!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Diane!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%