Fondant Banners With Curved/curled Edges

Decorating By southernswthrt Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm by _Jamie_

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

How do you make a banner out of fondant that curves with the cake and makes "waves" near the ends? I've never worked with fondant and am making my first cake with fondant accents this weekend..TIA

3 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 4

I just rolled the fondant out (1/8-1/4 inch thick or so) cut it the way I wanted it to look, then put something under it to give it a ripple effect (I think I used a lollipop stick - see flag on caving cake, though it's hard to tell it was rippled) I also made a New Year's banner for my trifle (using up cake bits )- see attached photo and did the same thing. HTH
LL
LL

jendardis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendardis Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 4

I just added a pic yesterday of a cake with a banner. I just cut out a long strip of fondant and ruffled the edges. Then I attached it to the cake, then let set a while, then write on it with black buttercream. I think it turned out good.

Hope that helps!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 4

Ok, what I do, is cut a nice even strip from GP, it's stronger and holds it's shape better. Put little rolled pieces of paper towel under neath it in places for a waving effect and let it dry for a few days, also curl the ends up with your finger a bit. You want it bone dry, and very neat and clean. THEN you can decorate and paint on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%