Just Call It Recycling

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 3:23am by FullMoonRanch

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 17

Now I've seen everything.

My kitchen has had a water leak since November. It rotted out the bottom board in one of the cupboards and they can't, for some unknown reason, fix the water leak until they fix the cupboard.

Today I got back from picking up Sophia and there was a half-burned board laying on the grass out in front, one that came from the trim at the top of the roof on the building that burned down next door. We detoured around it because it had nails sticking out everywhere and smelled terrible.

So an hour later the maintanence man showed up to fix my cupboard. He took measurements, and then went outside and started cutting off pieces of the burned board (the side that was mostly unburned at least). And that is what he's fixing my kitchen cupboard with.

It's just a standard two by four. We live across the street from Home Depot and I know two by fours aren't that expensive. I can't believe he's putting a nasty stinky burned up board into my kitchen cupboard...although the smell from the water leak is so strong that I'll admit I can't smell any burned smell right now.

It's just gross though.

16 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 17

So does this mean you won't have to move after all?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 17

ewwww. I've never rented and honestly never want to after all the issues you (and others I know) have had.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 17

It's fixed enough for us to stay the two months that we've got left on the lease. I think, anyhow. They cracked the foundation when they were trying to clear the pipes, I can see a crack running all the way across my kitchen floor and going toward the kids' bathroom. Also, there's a lot of concrete dust around the pipe they were working on outside, like piles of little concrete chunks. I didn't mention anything about it to them though because if they thought there was a major problem they'd make me move.

I just need to make it another two months...as soon as we get our tax refund we can start house hunting.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 17

Texas Rose, every time you post about this apartment I think to myself, "This poor woman, how does she stop herself from climbing a clock tower and starting to shoot?!" I'm really happy for you that you'll be able to find a home of your own soon. There are lots of houses on the market. You should be able to find a lot for your money.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 17

Oh brother...who the heck do they have working on this stuff. I hope there isn't any asbestos or lead in all that dust.

I pray you guys can move into a house really soon! Keeping my fingers crossed for you all!

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Texas Rose, every time you post about this apartment I think to myself, "This poor woman, how does she stop herself from climbing a clock tower and starting to shoot?!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have to save all my bullets in case someone breaks in icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

What's really bad is that this is the 4th apartment we've had in this complex. We've had to move for plumbing reasons twice already. DH wanted to buy a house four years ago, but the house prices seemed so inflated that the cheapskate in me just couldn't see paying a hundred grand for 800 square feet with one bathroom in a bad part of town. Now the same hundred grand will buy about 1800 square feet, two story, three bathrooms, in an okay part of town (not the best part of town, not as good as where we live now but still okay) or a townhome in the part of town we're in now.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 17

Yeah, you'll definitely get more for your money now. Is that tax credit still being offered?

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #9 of 17

Yes, they extended it so that if you buy a home by April 30, 2010 you can get the credit. You can file an amended return to get the credit a couple weeks after you buy the house. So even though we're going to use our whole tax refund on the down payment and closing costs, we should be able to get the credit.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #10 of 17

Oh that's awesome! I wish you guys the best of luck....keep us posted!

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks!

When DH got to work last night, his W2 was there, so he read me all the info and I did our taxes and we get our refund Feb 6, so I figure next week we'll start looking at houses icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 17

Yay!!!!! That's the fun part....I love looking at houses! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #13 of 17

I've never done it before...we've always lived in apartments and they all look the same. When you look at a house, if it's already vacant, is it normal to look in cupboards and stuff, or would that seem weird? And I'm guessing it would be better to go while the kids were at school than to take them with us.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 17

Yes, check everything!! Open and close all cabinet doors and drawers, inside and outside doors, including closets. Flush toilets and run all faucets, just for beginners. You want to locate problems and use them as bargaining power when you make an offer on the house.

It doesn't matter if the house is vacant or not. It can seem alittle awkward but really you don't want to find out these things after you move in. And its easier to go without kids so that you can concentrate on the houses.

Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 17

Yes definitely open those doors/cabinets....turn on the faucets, light switches everything.

It's a good idea to have a home inspection once you find the house you want. That way if there is anything that needs repair you can try and get the seller to either fix the problem, take some money off the price of the house or give you money at the closing to fix it after the sale goes through.

It just gives you peace of mind to know that the house you're buying is in good shape....most importantly the roof, furnace, plumbing, electrical, foundation etc. You know all the boring stuff! icon_lol.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 17

I recommend a home inspection before you buy and don't use the person that the realator recommends. A HOME INSPECTION IS A MUST BEFORE YOU BUY. This should prevent any potential problems after you close on the house. Go to the library and go online and get as much info as you can about buying a house.

Make sure that your contract lists everything you want to keep in the house ie.. the light fixtures, refrig, stove, washer and dryer directly.

I will also say do a final walk thru the day before you close to make sure the house is clean and ready for you to move in. Your idea of broom clean and the sellers idea of broom clean will be different is the run out of time.

Make sure you have in your contract how much they will have to pay you if the are not out of your house when you go to close and have the money in escrow.

Make sure that you have a title search done to be sure that they can sell the house free and clear.

I can't stress enough that you need to start doing your homework now. Make sure that you visit the neighborhood on the weekend, in the dark on a rainy night.

One more quick thing, if it is raining when you go to look at houses that is the best time. You will be able to see any leaks, potential flooding and what not. Make sure you check to see if there are any sex offenders living close and ask the realtor directly. Ask why they are selling the house.

HTH

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #17 of 17

Hi Texas Rose! Just wanted to wish you luck with the house search. You and your family sure have endured a lot! Hope the next 2 months go quick and you get a great house!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%