Fondant--The Ugh Of My Day!!!

Decorating By The_Lil_Cakehouse Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm by malene541

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 19

Does MMF ever look as good, cover as good, and as pliable, as the store bought stuff? I want to believe it is, but I've never worked with store bought. But it seems like everytime I find a photo I think is awesome, I ask what Fondant they use and its a store bought brand!

So my second question is IF MMF will never be as good as the store bought stuff, then which brands are best and which ones don't taste disgusting?

18 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 19

Try MFF. Very superior taste and easy to work with. I started leaving the vanilla out, and adding a bit of almond extract. Yum!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 19

I make Michelle Foster's fondant - from the recipe section here. Love it. I've also used Satin Ice, has a good flavor, too. That's the extent of my knowledge!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 19

I'm not saying my stuff is awesome icon_razz.gif but if you look in my photos, all I use is MMF. I get pretty decent results with it.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 19

I have bought the Wilton brand from Wal-mart ONCE!! It tasted horrible and even the smell when working with it made my stomache turn. I work at a funeral home also so I know what smells good and bad! I always make marshmallow fondant with the recipe from here. I have tried European fondant recipe from here as well but it tends to dry out after 1-2 days in the fridge and with a full time job I need to make fondant at least 2 days ahead of time to do a cake on a Saturday.
I would love to try Satin Ice fondant but I live in the middle of no where Oregon and the shipping charges aren't cheap. I'm far from a professional so MMF works for me!

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I'm not saying my stuff is awesome icon_razz.gif but if you look in my photos, all I use is MMF. I get pretty decent results with it.

But your stuff IS awesome! Nothing wrong with saying that! judge.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 19

I usually make MMF but I add 2 tbsp glucose or white corn syrup and 1 tbsp glycerine. The fondant is very plyable and tastes great.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone. My last couple forum questions have been about MMF, I'm sure you can all see how irritated I am getting with it! LOL! That's all I have used, and I get a different result everytime icon_smile.gif So, I will just keep working with it and know some day it will work with me icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 19

And...Texas Rose, I just looked at your stuff and it is awesome! YAY gives me hope!!!!!!

_Jamie_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Try MFF. Very superior taste and easy to work with. I started leaving the vanilla out, and adding a bit of almond extract. Yum!

icon_redface.gif SUPER! SUPER! Didn't mean to say superior....gah. They pretty much taste the same, different texture though, which I do prefer! I think my mind was on another thread about something that is definitely yuchy being the best. tapedshut.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 19

Can you make your own marshmallows for MMF?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 19

I wouldn't bother making your own marshmallows for MMF. If you are going to go through all of those steps you might as wll make non-marshmallow fondant.

(Plus... homemade marshmallows are too yummy to be turned into fondant.. icon_lol.gif)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks! I wasn't fishing for compliments by the way icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, looking at your cake photos I'm thinking that the only time the MMF gives you grief is when you're making a dark color. It does that to all of us...I've noticed that sometimes adding a little water will help. Also, if you need a whole batch of one color, you can put the color in when you add the water to the marshmallows.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 19

Okay. Great tips icon_smile.gif I went from crumbly fondant on the Topsy Turvy to So soft I could barely move it Fondant, hopefully my pictures don't show the issues I was having. But I definitely need something in between icon_wink.gif. But on my package cake it was pretty perfect.....so IDK, it's hit or miss!!! And I prefer it be HIT all the time..haha

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #15 of 19

Okay, what is MFF? I tried searching in the recipes section and got no results...

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

Okay, what is MFF? I tried searching in the recipes section and got no results...

Michelle Foster's Fondant

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:42am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I usually make MMF but I add 2 tbsp glucose or white corn syrup and 1 tbsp glycerine. The fondant is very plyable and tastes great.

What is the purpose of these other ingredients? I'd love to end up with an easier to use product. I'm just not sure what I'm getting is the consistency I should be with my MMF. I did just buy a small bucket of Satin Ice to see what it feels like and how it behaves so that I can know just what I'm aiming for with my MMF.

SassyCakes...

MFF is Michelle Foster's (delicious) Fondant. There are a number of versions of the recipe posted in the recipe section here.

- Leisel

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #18 of 19

I haven't done fondant in a while, but I think next time I do I will order some satin ice. My MMF always seems too inconsistent.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 19

Texas_Rose, I also have used MMF for all my cakes. High five to the MMF girls! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%