Hand Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm by TexasSugar

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 10

I've never done this before but I need to pain Jaguar spots on a cake. Do you mix the gel color with vodka like the luster dusts or is there another way? As always, thanks for any help.

Sue

9 replies
CakestyleIN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakestyleIN Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Sue!

Thats what I do, mix the gel with a little vodka. I've also used a little lemon juice instead of the vodka and have has success with that. I've also done that to paint on buttercream, too. HTH!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 10

If I wanted a flat color, I would dillute petal dusts in vodka. Other than that, you can mix gel color and alcohol.

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 10

I've never had good luck painting will thinned out color gel. It stays tacky and never dries whenever I've used it. Instead, I use liquid or powdered color and add water or mix colors as needed.

Does anyone else have the problem with sticky gel colors? Anyone not have that problem? What do you do?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:11am
post #5 of 10

I have the same problem with the gel colors... still sticky days later...

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:32am
post #6 of 10

I've had it still be tacky a few days later. When I tried again though, I thinned it out a bit more with vodka and it dried just fine.

Kahuna Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the help everyone, I guess I'll give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 10

Hello!
The problem with the "tackiness" is that you aply too much...
For this technique to be succesfull you have to dip the brush in the diluted gel then pat dry it with a paper towel and then aply.
Or you can also use lemon extrac, it dries faster.

Kahuna Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 10

Cannot that you all enough! It came out soo well. Thank you so much for the help, I was really nervous to try this, but once I got into it I loved it!!! By the way the cake was for at Vetranarian and I delivered it in a box, the receptionist thought I had a box full of kittens, thought that was pretty funny. Anyway, as always, you all are the best!!

Sue

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 10

I've had the sticky/tacky issue with thinning down color gels/pastes. That is why I now use airbrush colors for most of my painting. It is already thin and it dries nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%