Toba's Glaze Getting White Spots

Baking By mishlove Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm by GeminiRJ

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 13

It seems when my cookies dry they are getting white spots and looking dull, What can I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

Mish

12 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 13

Two much water I think... try to use 1 part water for 2 part corn syrup icon_smile.gif

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 13

And let them dry in a "warm" place... Toba's glace doesn't like to be cold.. lol

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 13

I read somewhere that it is caused by the sugar not dissolving properly. So now I mix the milk and powdered sugar and microwave it until just warm. Then I add in the corn syrup. I haven't had any issues since I started doing that.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 13

For sure dry in a not cold place. Also add bright white to your base glace before you split it up and add your colors and this keeps the spotting away. I usually add 20 to 30 drops per batch, I've used Americolor and Wilton and both have worked just fine. Good Luck!

Oh I forgot to add I also warm my milk, don't know why, but I do and I don't have any glace problems, love that stuff thumbs_up.gif

ecrandal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecrandal Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:28am
post #6 of 13

Is TOBA'S GLACE supposed to stay glossy? Mine gets dull after just a day and the colors seem to lose their punch, too. We're not making them to sell, but to promote our cookie cutter business, but if anyone is using this for business, how long do they usually look 'best'?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:37am
post #7 of 13

Ecrandal, definitely add the brite white to your base, like Andpotts said. It will keep the colors bright and glossy for many days at least.

ecrandal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecrandal Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the tips! I just bought a bottle of Wiltons white. Should that do it? Also, I have been using clear vanilla, but what other flavors have you used with success? I'd like to find something that tastes a bit more sophisticated (?). Thanks again. eric

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:09am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrandal

...Also, I have been using clear vanilla, but what other flavors have you used with success? I'd like to find something that tastes a bit more sophisticated (?). Thanks again. eric

You can use any flavor you like! TracyLH introduced us to this site:

http:// www . spicesetc . com/ category/ Natural-Flavorings

(remove spaces) Lots and lots of flavors to choose from!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 13

As CookieD-oh said, in my opinion, the all-natural flavorings from Spices Etc. are the way to go. I love the clear vanilla for my white or light colors so my RI doesn't get tinted with normal vanilla and I am not resorting to using the artifical clear vanilla. I also like Lemon, Lime, Orange, Cherry, Almond, Pumpkin Pie and Coconut. The coconut is how I learned about them as I was trying to find an all-natural Coconut Flavoring/Extract and Cook's Illustrated rated theirs the highest.

They know I love their flavorings as I get so many and just sent me an e-mail saying they are getting ready to develop new flavors and asked what flavors us cookiers might be interested in. I will post the question tomorrow, but White Chocolate is at the top of my list. icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 13

I almost forgot - here is a coupon code for Spices Etc. for a first time order:

CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Once you are in the system, they will have other discount shipping codes sent to you in your e-mail when they do them. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 13

I used 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 peppermint extract on my Christmas Santa cookies and they were great -- not overwhelming, just a refreshing bit of mint against the sweetness of the cookie and glacee. I've had the glacee stay shiny for over a week....

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 13

I've tried using more corn syrup than milk (or water), and this definitely seems to help in the final appearance of the icing. It still doesn't stay glossy for very long, but it's not dull, either. Just more matte than shiny. I love the ease of using this icing, and being able to mix it up in different quantities. All the hints I've gleaned from CC have definitely made this my icing of choice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%