How To Lose 6 Lbs In 4 Days Without Even Trying.

Lounge By prterrell Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:43am by Ursula40

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 20

1. Eat normally.
2. Be struck with extreme nausea and horrendous abdominal pain.
3. Rush to ER, where morphine will barely take the edge off of said pain.
4. That is, after the 4 nurses have taken a dozen tries to get an IV started.
5. After blood tests and CT scan, be diagnosed with partial obstruction of small intestine.
6. Indure hours of pain like being stabbed all over the abdomin.
7. Projectile vomiting.
8. NG (nasal-gastronal) tube attached to a pump. Yes, it IS as unpleasant as it sounds.
9. 36 hours after admission, be allowed a ounce of ice chips every 4 hours. This is the first thing you've taken orally since step 2 and, yes, your mouth is a dessert.
10. Removal of NG tube. Very unpleasant.
11. Oh, you've been stuck another 10 times and are on your 3rd IV placement now, BTW.
12. The two ounces of ice chips you've had have stayed down, so now you're allowed liquids.
13. A cup of boullion, a glass of Sprite, and a cup of Jello never tasted so good.
14. After over 24 hours of liquids only, venture a small cup of applesauce with trepidation, but it's stayed down.

Sooooo, how was YOUR weekend? icon_cool.gif

19 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 20

oh god luv ya! what a horrendous experience!

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 20

And to top it all off, since I have had abdominal surgery in the past, there's no guarrantee that it won't happen again.

At least I got to come home last night. AND I have a wonderful hubby who has been taking great care of me and stayed by my side at the hospital pretty much the entire time (except when I MADE him go home to get some sleep, poor guy!).

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 20

Good lord, that's awful. My husband has had several bowel obstructions and they're painful and dangerous. One time it was so bad he actually threw up feces. It came all the way back up. I can say without hesitation that it was the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. I never even knew that could happen.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Let's hope it never happens again.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:42am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Good lord, that's awful. My husband has had several bowel obstructions and they're painful and dangerous. One time it was so bad he actually threw up feces. It came all the way back up. I can say without hesitation that it was the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. I never even knew that could happen.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Let's hope it never happens again.

icon_eek.gif oh. my. I had no idea that was even possible.

I hope you're fully recovered soon!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks, but I don't think that's a diet plan I want to try!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 20

WOW I sure hope your feeling better now. Hope it don't decide to come back.

Mike

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 20

Wow... sounds even more effective than the "My mouth hurts so much that chocolate melting on my tongue is painful" diet. I tried that one about a year and a half ago.

If only the results had stayed.

- Leisel

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 20

Good grief! Can't believe you only lost six pounds!!! That sounds like it should have been good for at least ten!

Seriously, hope you are feeling better and never have to go through that again.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 20

NO thank you. No diet is fun but that sounds like something I don't want to try.

I hope you feel better soon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 20

I'm glad you're better enough that you could come home. That's a scary thing to go through and it's hard to believe they can't suggest a diet or do some sort of surgery to keep it from happening again...maybe get an opinion from another doctor if possible.

I've got you beat on the weight loss though...I lost 43 lbs in 5 days once. I had Valerie, who weighed 6lbs, and when I got to go home my pants wouldn't stay up at all so I got on the scale on the way out of the hospital and I had lost that much.

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 20

Ah...I'd LOVE to do the Bundle of Joy diet. Unfortunately, my reproductive system (what's left of it), doesn't work. icon_sad.gif

I can believe the throwing up feces...what I threw up was definitely close to becoming that. Ick.

Grapefruit was one of the last things I'd eaten. I used to LOVE grapefruit. Now I really don't know if I'll ever be able to tolerate the scent of one again let alone eat one.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 20

I'm sorry, I wouldn't have mentioned the baby thing if I'd known...

Since you hadn't had any kids yet, I left out the gross and painful details because I didn't want to scare you...but I had to have both of my kids by c-section. It wasn't bad when I had Sophie because I already knew what I was getting into (and I had my tubes tied after so I knew I'd never have to do it again) but when I had Val, it was a horrible ordeal and they did a really messy job of it. And when I went home 43 lbs lighter, I also had to leave Val there because she couldn't breathe on her own yet, she didn't get to come home for two weeks. I had staples from hipbone to hipbone and I really felt like they had butchered me and stolen her. It was kind of like the bottom fell out of my world for a while...about six months of really bad depression.

Anyhow, that's one experience I would have skipped if possible...I'm glad I have her but if I could have gotten her by adopting it would have been a lot more pleasant.

prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 20

that's ok texas_rose, it's not something i go around talking abt all the time. it's taken a long time, and a lot of prayer, but i've finally come to peace with it. hubby and i will be starting the adoption journey in the near future.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 20

That's really exciting!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 20

ah I had my jaw wired for six weeks and then eight weeks. I had to eat everything through a straw or syringe (sp?). It was also the best darn diet. I would choose that over what you had. I hope you are feeling better and they find something to reduce the obstructions. Good Luck

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 20

I'm sure sorry you went through all that. Was it adhesions/scar tissue from a previous surgery? That's always a possibility after any surgery. Can cause lots of pain and problems. I hope you're feeling better.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #18 of 20

prterrell, I hope you are feeling better, that sounded like a miserable few days! Glad you have hubby to help you and take care of you. And best of luck on the adoption journey.

I lost 16+ pounds when I had my tonsils out 4 years ago. I could not eat for 2 weeks, almost a month before I ate anything besides pastina and liquids, my mom tried to put a teaspoon of ice cream in my mouth everyday just for some sugar and calories. I do not recommend that one either.

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #19 of 20

CarolAnn - yes, that is their best guess, that it was adhesions from my ovarian tumor surgery a year and a half ago. Fortunately, the conservative (non-surgical) treatment worked. Now, I'm just hoping it never happens again.

Weight loss as of this morning: 12 pounds.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #20 of 20

Ughh, hope that was your first and last time of having to go through that experience. Get well soon and take it easy the next couple of days, sounds like your husband is a keeper

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%