Urgent, Need Answers Today!

Decorating By bethyscake Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 12:07am by bethyscake

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a cake for wendesday and I was making a practice cake today but it is turning out well and would like to use it as the actual cake since my plans have changed and I wont have time to make it the day before its due. Can I bake a cake, use non perishable ingredients, cover it in fondant and have it last until wednesday? I know cakes can last but im hoping it can last till then if its kept in a cool inviroment and covered. I am making a couch cake made of white cake and vanilla frosting with marshmallow fondant. The cake base below that will be chocolate with peanut butter filling, that I will make the day before since its a basic square cake. so I just need to know if it is safe to frost the couch cake and cover in fondant today, will it last till wednesday?

10 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 11

someone just mentioned today that they had to freeze a cake because the party was delayed a week and when the cake was served it was great. can you get the section you are doing done today and then freeze it till tuesday when you will complete it.

di60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
di60 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 11

I think the 'couch cake' would be okay for serving Wednesday. However, I suggest you cover it with a lightweight clean towel and leave it in a cool area vice storing in the fridge. I believe fondant will sweat after being removed from refrigeration and that may cause you problems when finishing it, especially if you plan on attaching any items to the couch. Good Luck! I hope it turns out well for you.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 11

Fondant will sweat after putting it in the fridge. I have done it before and I did have a large seating problem and the fondant touched the box and deteriorated in those spots. Now, I have also made my beer cooler cake, totally wrapped it in plastic wrap several times and my brother saved it for a week and it was perfect.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 11

I would freeze it too.

bethyscake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

what if I dont have enough room in the freezer. I was hoping to fondant it today, cover and keep in a cool place. would it not last? I wont be puting it in the fridge.

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 11

Well a cake baked today will be 3 days old by Wednesday. It'll be edible I'm sure but will it be as fresh as it is today?....no.

Is this for a client?

bethyscake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 11

This is not for a paying costomer, its for my boyfriend. And the couch cake is a small part of the cake, I am also making a base cake to put the couch on, which I will be making on tuesday since the frosting inbetween the layers will be peanut butter, and Im not sure how that stuff is yet. I wont be using dairy in the frosting so that will help it not go bad. I dont think im so worried about the cake not being that day fresh, I know it will still taste good, im mostly worried about how the fondant will hold up if I put it in a box and in a cool area. Will it survive two and half days. I have the cake in the freezer now but would prefer almost getting it done now since I wont have as much time on tuesday, or privacy to prevent him from seeing it.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #9 of 11

Oh ok I understand now.

Yes the fondant will be fine....If you have a box big enough to hold it I'd just place it in the box in a cool area.

I thought you wanted to make the entire cake today, even the PB filled one, that's kind of what I was worried about.

Sounds like a fun cake!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #10 of 11

I'd refrigerate it. As long as you don't touch it when you take it out of the fridge it will be fine after it has a chance to acclimate to the room temperature. Unless there's a huge difference in temperature and a lot of humidity it won't sweat when you take it out of the fridge.

bethyscake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #11 of 11

Its so far my most favorite cake. I have posted all the fondant pieces I have made for the cake, and will post the cake when it is completed. Thank you for the help, Im off to fondant the couch cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%