Need Help With Mmf

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm by barnes113

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'M A NEWBIE WITH FONDANT, I MADE MMF TASTE GREAT BUT IT GOT REALLY DRY REALLY FAST I HAD TO KEEP PUTTING IT IN THE MICROWAVE TO EVEN GET IT TO TO ROLL OUT, MY QUESTION IS SINCE I'M NEW TO USING MMF OR ANY KINDA FONDANT I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO COMPARE TO DOES IT SUPPOSE TO GET DRY REALLY QUICK, HOW DO I KEEP IT FROM STICKING I USED CORNSTARCH BUT IT LEFT THE FONDANT DULL LOOKING AND WHITE AND HOW DO I GET THE SHINY COLOR.. icon_cry.gif
AS YOU GUYS CAN ALL SEE I REALLY NEED HELP ANY HELP OR A TUTORIAL U COULD DIRECT ME TO WOULD BE VERY HELP FULL. THANKS IN ADVANCE thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 6

If your MMF is too dry, work some shortening into it. Put about a tablespoon or so onyou hand and knead it in.

I personally don't use cornstarch when rolling out my fondant because it does dry it out. I use a can of cheap vegetable pan spray (like Pam). It works great for me, plus it also helps the fondant stick to the icing a little bit better.

I know that there are probably a lot of other suggestions out there, but this is what works for me!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 6

try using trex (or pam) to roll it out on. too much tho can make it too soft - so ps can work as well, but like the cornstarch, can make it dry out.

brush off the excess dust (some use cocoa powder on dark fondant, as its less noticeable), should come off pretty well.

you can rub trex over the cake, or steam it - this will help to get rid of any left over powder, and also gives it a shine. the steam shine is better (i think!) though, and lasts longer.

for a really proper shine, you need to use glaze - you can buy confectioners glaze, or there are recipes on here. a lot of peopel with air brushes spray their cakes with a pearlised or lustre finish, which looks great too.
xx

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 6

I just posted a similar question and there are a ton of responses. You may search the forum, I think my topic was need major help with MMF. If you have cornstarch on the out side of the cake that is visible just try and dust as much off as you can, and then you can shine it up with shortening icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6

It shouldn't dry out that fast. You might need to put extra water in...the recipe that I use is 1lb marshmallows, 2lbs powdered sugar, and 4 tablespoons of water.

One thing that makes it dry out fast is using a lot of color in it, especially red or black. You can add the color when you add the water, if you're making the whole batch one color.

I use cornstarch but after you get the fondant rolled out to the size you want, before you put it on the cake, rub your hands over it until it's smooth and shiny and that will take the cornstarch off. I used to use Crisco and that works too, but I like the smoother finish that I get from cornstarch.

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6

THANK U GUYS SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP I NOW KNOW THAT I WAS USING TO MUCH CORN STARCH. I WAS AFRAID OF THE FONDANT STICKING SO I USED SO MUCH CORN STARCH THAT IT TURNED MY BROWN SHIRT I WAS WERE WHITE icon_redface.gif , BUT I WILL US UR TIPS AND ONCE AGAIN THAT U GUYS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%