Holding Stencils In Place

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 6:08am by Donnabugg

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 13

I tried to stencil royal icing on a fondant cake today. Alot harder than I thought... mostly cuz I was trying to hold the stencil with one hand and brush the royal icing on and off with the other....Any tips on holding the stencil in place? (esp on the side of the cake)
Also I noticed that when I curved the stencil on the cake, that some of the stencil would pop up....does that make sense?

12 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:13am
post #2 of 13

I have seen on TV where they have used the blue masking tape to tape the stencil down on a fondant cake. (I have not done this myself) OR find someone to hold down both sides while you do the stencil work! icon_wink.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #3 of 13

use 2 people, one to hold the stencil, the other to put the RI on. That blue painters tape that I have seen used is not food safe so I wouldn't use it, that is gross to think that some of the glue could get on the fondant

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 13

thanks for the tips.

Sandi

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 13

On the site where they are selling the stencils they are selling a NEW package to deal with this very problem.

To me it looks like nothing more than an extra piece of acetate strip and a couple of bull-dog clips. icon_twisted.gif

Check it out

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 13

It is a new self adhering ace bandage in the kit they sell to hold the stencils. (and alligator clips)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 13

I was watching one of the competitions (seems like Rebecca Sutterby or Cheryl Elder (the who did whats run into when and wheres when it comes to me watching tv...) was the one doing it but I could be wrong) it was a fondant covered cake that was being stenciled...they were being held in place with corsage pins (you know, the kind with the large pearl-looking head)

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 13

I do quite a few stenciled cakes. I punch a hole on each end of the stencil with a corsage pin. Then hold in place with the pins on each end. the only thing is punch holes through the stencil before you put on cake If you try to punch pilot hole after its on the cake, It will put a big dent in the cake. The pins are hard to get through the stencil first time when you make the hole.....

So, have the hole ready before you begin to stencil. And yes bending the stencil around the cake does cause some of the detail to raise. Just run your spatula top to bottom where it does that.

Practice on a round dummy first to get the feel, so you dont ruin your cake. Or on a flat piece of fondant if you dont have anything curved. But, get the feel of it first.

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 13

Ok, bear with me while I try to word this without sounding like a blithering icon_confused.gif .....
Say I want to have a design stenciled all around a cake, without gaps in the design. I stencil first section.... how do I re-position the stencil so the edge of the stencil doesn't mess up what I just did?

It just amazes me to see a cake covered in stenciling, how do they get it so close together without smearing everything?

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows a continuing or all-over stenciled design?

Thanks....

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 13

You let that royal icing dry. Sometimes I use buttercream. So, I let that crust, move on to another tier and do one section on each cake let these dry. and come back to them so you dont lay the stencil on what you just did until it dries.

Love square cakes to stencil be cause each side is a seperate entity.

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

You let that royal icing dry. Sometimes I use buttercream. So, I let that crust, move on to another tier and do one section on each cake let these dry. and come back to them so you dont lay the stencil on what you just did until it dries.

Love square cakes to stencil be cause each side is a seperate entity.

Thanks nancyg, I'll have to try that "Waiting till it's dry" technique! Not something I'm particularly good at! icon_rolleyes.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:04am
post #12 of 13

Ditto on what Nancy suggested with the corsage pins...I've done a few and that's the method I used. Seems to me there was a how-to video on this site....it's actually not that difficult once you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:08am
post #13 of 13

Yes, there's two video's I had saved under articles but I don't know how to link them here but just do a search....HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%