New Business....first Bridal Show.....help!!!!

Business By sawyersmommy Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 3:28am by ladybug76

sawyersmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sawyersmommy Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 7

I just began my business. (Have been playing with making cakes for a long time but have no pics.) I have only done one anniversary cake for my business so far (This pic and some of my others are on this site.) All the other orders I have had are for cookies, cupcakes, pies, and pumpkin rolls.

I signed up to be in a bridal show at the end of Feb. I have started making fake cakes and plan on having a Calla Lily decorated four tier wedding cake, a black buttercream two tier square cake with red roses and white hydrangeas, a three tier cupcake tower to show off my buttercream roses. I've also made a shoe box cake with a high heel that I am going to display and an assortment of cookies.

I am ordering business cards to pass out and will have contracts on hand for brides to sign up that day for their cakes to get special deals.

There is a theme to the show of romance in bloom and with all the gumpaste flowers that will be on the cakes, I think I will be alright for the theme. I am going to place rose petals on the table.

I will also be serving sample pieces of cake, of course.

Is there anything else I could be doing at this show to help get my business off and going?

6 replies
Mems-edible-creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mems-edible-creations Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

are you starting your business from home? because I want to start my own business too because i love making cakes and other desserts I just don't know how to go about it... if you could tell me how you started it please let me know or how you planned to start and what steps you took that would be great thanks!!!

sawyersmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sawyersmommy Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 7

My family actually owns a restaurant and catering business. I had done a few cakes for some of their catering jobs in the past and enjoyed it but felt I needed more 'training'. I took some classes and the family has allowed me to use their businesses kitchen and supplies to do my work. It's my 'baby' and I will be paying the taxes and such, but the business is a division of the restaurant and therefore I use their tax number.

Mems-edible-creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mems-edible-creations Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #4 of 7

what if you're planing to start small and then hope it gets big in the futre? how should i go abotu that... because i cannot afford a restaurant space... only home kitchen...

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

Sounds like you've got everything covered! I just did my first big bridal show a few weeks ago and was happily surprised at how many brides there were!! Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #6 of 7

mems, you should check the sticky at the top of this Forum to see if your state allows sales from home based kitchens. Many states do not allow them.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #7 of 7

I, too am attending my first bridal faire at the end of February. There are tons of forums here on CC with many ideas, tips and advice of what to do and what not to do!! Here are some of the ones I found helpful:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580310.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656523.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649834.html

Best wishes on your new business!!
~Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%